A lot of people know and call me by my first name, ‘Loy’, although there have been several written and pronounced variations of that name — Aloy, Loi, Leo, Law, (insert whatever suits you here) — which is a subject of another post.
Even though I prefer being called ‘Loy’, I also like my surname ‘Okezie’, which apparently has had its mutilated variations too — Okozie, Okezi, Okeze, Okiezie (insert yours here) — which again is the topic of another post.
Interestingly, unlike ‘Loy’, ‘Okezie’ has a more appealing meaning. It’s an Igbo name or word that literally means He creates well. The name has further been described as meaning: “God has completed this”.
So essentially, ‘Okezie’ could act as a verb: to create or complete, e.g. It was Rachel who okezied that beautiful dress or as a noun to describe someone who creates, e.g. He is an Okezie.
When used as an adjective suffix, it could mean “-like”, that is, “having qualities of”, thus when something or someone is ‘Okeziely’, it is Okezie-like, that is, having the qualities of a creator e.g The young boy became Okeziely after that training.
So you’re still reading? You must be a very patient English student. By now, you’re connecting the dots, I suppose.
But if you skipped that grammar class, I’m sure you’ll find it difficult to understand why I’m now @okeziely on Twitter. So here’s a crash course — I chose to change my Twitter handle to @okeziely because I’m Okezie-like, having the qualities of a creator. After all, I’m created in God’s image
As per those who mutilate the name, I believe it would be a good way for them to learn how to spell and pronounce the word ‘Okezie’ properly, as someone like Seiyie seriously needs to learn faster.
Oh, my bad…I too need to learn how to spell Seyi.
Related Posts via Categories
- LO and behold!
- What Governor Fashola Should Learn From NYC’s Digital Future
- Huffington Post To Launch 24-Hour Online TV Channel
- Speaking at a Consumer Engagement Workshop in Lagos
- ThisDay Boss, Nduka Obaigbena Goes to G8 Summit
- 6 Tech Ideas Shortlisted For Tech-in-Governance
- Jonathan To Broadcast Diasporan Campaign on Ustream
- Announcing Nigeria’s Best Use of Social Media at #SowambeAwards
- Confirmed: Twitter Re-assigns @gtbank To GTBank Plc (But Account Not Verified)
- Goodluck Jonathan Gets Mobile App For 2011 Presidential Campaign
- Why Facebook Is Losing Active Users in Nigeria [OPINION]
- Rocket Internet-Backed Vehicle Classified Ad Site, Carmido Launches To Challenge Cheki
- Google Policy Manager For Africa, Ory Okolloh Joins Omidyar Network
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- Marissa Mayer Has Already Made One Big Mistake With Tumblr
- Google Planning Wireless Networks To Connect The Next 1B People - WSJ
- Microsoft And Google Declare A Truce In Their YouTube Fight
- iOS 7 Rumor Watch: 'Black, White and Flat All Over'
- Google Has A Trojan Horse To Disrupt TV: Really, Really Big Data
- Will The Xbox One Rule The Living Room? Price Will Determine The Size Of Its Kingdom
- What Games Are: Xbox One Is Microsoft's Spruce Goose
- Gillmor Gang: Parlor Games & Metaphones
- Reminder: Google Buzz Is Still Dead, Your Data Will Be Moved To Drive, And They Thank You For Using It
- The New "Handmade" (Part Two)
- The truth about being acquired
- eBay asks users to petition US House of Representatives over “unfair” Internet sales tax legislation
- Simplify your responsive design workflow with Screensiz.es, a database of mobile and desktop specs
- 11 tips for developing a mobile app that users will love
- UK TV legend Maggie Philbin on why we should all do more to tempt teens into a career in tech
- Why due diligence matters in equity crowdfunding
- DHS warns of vulnerability exposing employee social security numbers
- Peter Thiel’s venture firm to invest in space (exclusive)
- Yahoo continues spending spree by jumping into the bidding fray over Hulu
- Google and Microsoft agree to play nicely on a new YouTube Windows Phone app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube