A lot of people know and call me by my first name, ‘Loy’, although there have been several written and pronounced variations of that name — Aloy, Loi, Leo, Law, (insert whatever suits you here) — which is a subject of another post.
Even though I prefer being called ‘Loy’, I also like my surname ‘Okezie’, which apparently has had its mutilated variations too — Okozie, Okezi, Okeze, Okiezie (insert yours here) — which again is the topic of another post.
Interestingly, unlike ‘Loy’, ‘Okezie’ has a more appealing meaning. It’s an Igbo name or word that literally means He creates well. The name has further been described as meaning: “God has completed this”.
So essentially, ‘Okezie’ could act as a verb: to create or complete, e.g. It was Rachel who okezied that beautiful dress or as a noun to describe someone who creates, e.g. He is an Okezie.
When used as an adjective suffix, it could mean “-like”, that is, “having qualities of”, thus when something or someone is ‘Okeziely’, it is Okezie-like, that is, having the qualities of a creator e.g The young boy became Okeziely after that training.
So you’re still reading? You must be a very patient English student. By now, you’re connecting the dots, I suppose.
But if you skipped that grammar class, I’m sure you’ll find it difficult to understand why I’m now @okeziely on Twitter. So here’s a crash course — I chose to change my Twitter handle to @okeziely because I’m Okezie-like, having the qualities of a creator. After all, I’m created in God’s image
As per those who mutilate the name, I believe it would be a good way for them to learn how to spell and pronounce the word ‘Okezie’ properly, as someone like Seiyie seriously needs to learn faster.
Oh, my bad…I too need to learn how to spell Seyi.
Related Posts via Categories
- LO and behold!
- What Governor Fashola Should Learn From NYC’s Digital Future
- Huffington Post To Launch 24-Hour Online TV Channel
- Speaking at a Consumer Engagement Workshop in Lagos
- ThisDay Boss, Nduka Obaigbena Goes to G8 Summit
- 6 Tech Ideas Shortlisted For Tech-in-Governance
- Jonathan To Broadcast Diasporan Campaign on Ustream
- Announcing Nigeria’s Best Use of Social Media at #SowambeAwards
- Confirmed: Twitter Re-assigns @gtbank To GTBank Plc (But Account Not Verified)
- Goodluck Jonathan Gets Mobile App For 2011 Presidential Campaign
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- NSA’s taste for cookies reveals the danger of marketing-driven web tracking
- Rdio brings its Spotify competitor to 20 more countries
- HP’s new CloudSystems bundle “hardened” OpenStack
- Beastie Boys countersue as fair use fight over “Girls” song escalates
- Twitter ousts Facebook as best tech employer, survey says
- 10 big tech trends for 2014 and how to use them in your marketing strategy
- Amazon Prime Air: just another pipe dream or technological breakthrough?
- Carmine Gallo’s 3 unbreakable laws of communication [#LeWeb]
- 10 of the most iconic phones of our time
- Proper gov’t regulation will fix NSA spying & protect data [#LeWeb]
- Palantir’s Latest Round Valuing It At $9B Swells To $107.8M In New Funding
- nWay Raises $5M To Build Out ChronoBlade MMO Game
- Meet Kubo, The Crowdfunded Electric Cargo Scooter Made By Lit Motors
- Extole Raises $5M To Reward Customers For Promoting Products To Their Friends
- Lovely’s Apartment Rental App Moves Into Its New Digs On Android
- Digia releases Qt 5.2 with Android and iOS support, previews Windows RT, and launches Qt mobile edition
- Valve redesigns its Steam Mobile for iOS app, adds offline chat, new friend invite area and more
- Angry Birds Go! is now available for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10
- Japan has overtaken the US as the world’s biggest spender on mobile apps
- YouTube reveals its top 10 videos for 2013 (What Does YouTube Say?)
- PaeDae gets a pay day as it collects $11.6M to expand beyond mobile game rewards
- FOCUS TRAINR App Transforms Wearable Fitness Devices from Data Trackers into Virtual Personal Trainers
- The future is enchanted objects, not glass slabs
- Just sending an SMS does not protect your users
- Evernote for the enterprise: Huddle rolls out notes feature alongside redesigned iOS app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube