I’m not one who responds to ignorant criticisms of me or my work, but when Editi Effiong who’s not a ‘tech blogger’ said that Nigerian technology bloggers are not relevant, it becomes necessary to put things in proper perspective.
First, technology blogging in Nigeria is still in its early days and as a pioneering blogger in the Nigerian technology space, I’ve always felt that I’m still scratching the surface. Just imagine how covering a budding startup ‘industry’ (use that word loosely) with little or no stories to tell has been since April 2008! For me, it’s been a fun and challenging ride!
Second, that I’m a technology blogger doesn’t mean that I’m obligated to cover every single tech story or topic. As a matter of fact, I started blogging to cover and profile startups and Internet companies, NOT report on the telecom industry. CP Africa recently said that “it is virtually impossible to think of startups and Nigeria without thinking of Loy Okezie.”
So does my focus on startups and Internet companies make me an irrelevant technology blogger?
Third, I run the biggest and most popular technology news blog in Nigeria. We break the biggest stories around Internet companies, startups and innovations with worldwide exclusives. We also publish news (yes, we even rehash them), insightful opinion and reviews and analysis from time to time around the tech, mobile and broadband space.
So if anyone fails to remember when a Nigerian technology blog delivered really hot ‘industry’ news, then that person’s memory is utterly useless.
On a final note, we’re looking for tech reporters and writers who would cover key topical areas we’re venturing into in the coming months.
If you want to be relevant as a writer/reporter in Africa’s technology startup scene, then let’s discuss joining TechLoy.
Oh by the way, we’re gonna make those ‘iRelevant Blogger tee-shirts you see up there soon
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- TechLoy’s Top Women in Web and Tech Entrepreneurship
- BellaNaija’s Interview with Loy Okezie on How To Make ‘Legit’ Money From Online Ventures
- Google Offers African Students Chance To Become Online Marketing Pros
- Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt Funded Identified.com, A Startup By Nigerian Founders
- Jobberman’s Interview with Loy Okezie on Careers
- Oduntan Odubanjo: 9 Lessons Learned as a Google Intern
- Jobberman.com – Most Intuitive Job Search Portal in Nigeria
- Top 5 Valuable Skills You Need to Build Your Career
- 4 Strategies to Becoming Employable in Nigeria
- Africa-Focused Social Music Platform, TruSpot Plans Re-Launch
- Google Translation Service Now Available In 5 New African Languages
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- Bitcoin’s a risky business for consumers, European Banking Authority warns
- IBM shareholder sues firm over NSA “links” and China risk
- Wunderlist set to get conversational as 6Wunderkinder buys Moped code
- Bitcoin no longer bunk? AT&T wants to peek at your searches, and Verizon’s LTE Kaiju!
- Gmail change means faster images, fewer clicks, less risk, says Google
- 14 big security predictions for 2014
- Yahoo collapses, Firefox drops Java and Instagram kills Snapchat: #StuffToKnow
- It’s a woman’s (virtual) world: how girl gamers are dealt a rough hand
- ‘Fake’ Mandela signer gets the Jimmy Kimmel treatment
- Instagram unveils ‘Direct’, says it’s not taking aim at Snapchat
- New Cut the Rope 2 Game Drops On December 19, Check Out The Video Preview
- Leaked Facebook Video Ad Pitch Deck Reveals Plans To Steal TV And YouTube Dollars
- Appsfire Exits The App Discovery Business To Focus On Mobile Advertising, Native Ads
- Nextdoor Competitor Meetey Launches Its Local Social Network Internationally
- The Future Of The iPhone, If Unbound By The Requirements Of Reality
- Google+ gets a new Explore experience on the Web, promotes major topics and content discovery
- Sony’s PS4 goes on sale in 16 more countries across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America
- Russian travel site Oktogo.ru rebrands to Travel.ru following its September acquisition
- Pebble smartwatch gets ‘do not disturb’ setting, multiple alarms and alarm snoozing
- Google launches Google Tips, a site to help you use its 13 consumer products
- SurveyMonkey CEO Dave Goldberg on launches, lazy VCs, and why Germany’s on his radar
- ARM acquires maker of game graphics and lighting technology Geomerics
- AddVenture invests in e-store Nebo.ru and food delivery startup Chefmarket.ru
- Twitter learns the difference between blocking and muting users
- How do you want to spend the next 4 years of your life?
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube