I’m not one who responds to ignorant criticisms of me or my work, but when Editi Effiong who’s not a ‘tech blogger’ said that Nigerian technology bloggers are not relevant, it becomes necessary to put things in proper perspective.
First, technology blogging in Nigeria is still in its early days and as a pioneering blogger in the Nigerian technology space, I’ve always felt that I’m still scratching the surface. Just imagine how covering a budding startup ‘industry’ (use that word loosely) with little or no stories to tell has been since April 2008! For me, it’s been a fun and challenging ride!
Second, that I’m a technology blogger doesn’t mean that I’m obligated to cover every single tech story or topic. As a matter of fact, I started blogging to cover and profile startups and Internet companies, NOT report on the telecom industry. CP Africa recently said that “it is virtually impossible to think of startups and Nigeria without thinking of Loy Okezie.”
So does my focus on startups and Internet companies make me an irrelevant technology blogger?
Third, I run the biggest and most popular technology news blog in Nigeria. We break the biggest stories around Internet companies, startups and innovations with worldwide exclusives. We also publish news (yes, we even rehash them), insightful opinion and reviews and analysis from time to time around the tech, mobile and broadband space.
So if anyone fails to remember when a Nigerian technology blog delivered really hot ‘industry’ news, then that person’s memory is utterly useless.
On a final note, we’re looking for tech reporters and writers who would cover key topical areas we’re venturing into in the coming months.
If you want to be relevant as a writer/reporter in Africa’s technology startup scene, then let’s discuss joining TechLoy.
Oh by the way, we’re gonna make those ‘iRelevant Blogger tee-shirts you see up there soon
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- TechLoy’s Top Women in Web and Tech Entrepreneurship
- BellaNaija’s Interview with Loy Okezie on How To Make ‘Legit’ Money From Online Ventures
- Google Offers African Students Chance To Become Online Marketing Pros
- Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt Funded Identified.com, A Startup By Nigerian Founders
- Jobberman’s Interview with Loy Okezie on Careers
- Oduntan Odubanjo: 9 Lessons Learned as a Google Intern
- Jobberman.com – Most Intuitive Job Search Portal in Nigeria
- Top 5 Valuable Skills You Need to Build Your Career
- 4 Strategies to Becoming Employable in Nigeria
- South Africa’s Silvertree Capital Invests Into Two Nigerian E-Commerce Companies
- Etisalat-Hosted Digital Marketing Conference Brings Local And International Marketing Experts Together
- After Raising Close To $70 Million, E-Commerce Company, JUMIA Builds A 90,000 sqft Warehouse in Lagos
- Can You Type As Fast As Eku Edewor On The Blackberry Q10? [VIDEO]
- Move Over Konga! The Most Liked E-Commerce Site On Facebook Is…Jumia!
- In new startup, Javier Soltero aims to sell enterprise software with end users in mind
- For some in Arab nations, Facebook is the only news source that matters
- Feedly hits 12 million users, launches web version and quits relying on Google’s backend
- Rockmelt brings its social news app to Android
- The Samsung Mega becomes the first officially certified 802.11ac Wi-Fi device
- Busting the myths: why linking out will not kill your website
- Don’t fluff the facts: 3 keys to good reputation management
- Are you losing it with social media? Here’s how to find your way again
- #YouKnowYoureSouthAfricanWhen: can hashtags shape a nation’s story?
- Lumia 920 review: It’s big, it’s really big, but oh so sexy
- ERN Raises Further $1.6M To Use Big Data To Help Banks And Merchants Push Loyalty-Based Offers
- Netflix Will Launch In The Netherlands Later This Year As Its International Expansion Slows
- Ooyala Sets Up R&D Center In Singapore To Chase Mobile Audiences In Asia
- Teambox Adds High-Definition Video Conferencing, Market Looks for Deeper Collaboration
- Fab Grabs $150M At $1B Valuation (And Is Raising Another $100M+ More)
- Singtel partners with Shopify to broaden the e-commerce platform’s reach in Asia
- Nokia and Intel-backed project examining the future of the ’3D Internet’ reaches its end
- TripAdvisor acquires GateGuru, a mobile app for real-time info on airports, flight times and more
- Facebook storms past 1 million active advertisers mark
- Tesla Motors recalls Model S cars built in May and June 2013 due to weakened mounting bracket
- Nvidia’s bold plan to conquer new graphics territory: licensing its chips
- FindTheCompany releases data on 30M businesses to clue in consumers
- Funding Daily: The doctor is in
- Dish jilts Sprint to focus attention on Clearwire in a sordid saga of spectrum
- Tech, entertainment, & fashion collide at Silicon Beach Fest
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube