I’m not one who responds to ignorant criticisms of me or my work, but when Editi Effiong who’s not a ‘tech blogger’ said that Nigerian technology bloggers are not relevant, it becomes necessary to put things in proper perspective.
First, technology blogging in Nigeria is still in its early days and as a pioneering blogger in the Nigerian technology space, I’ve always felt that I’m still scratching the surface. Just imagine how covering a budding startup ‘industry’ (use that word loosely) with little or no stories to tell has been since April 2008! For me, it’s been a fun and challenging ride!
Second, that I’m a technology blogger doesn’t mean that I’m obligated to cover every single tech story or topic. As a matter of fact, I started blogging to cover and profile startups and Internet companies, NOT report on the telecom industry. CP Africa recently said that “it is virtually impossible to think of startups and Nigeria without thinking of Loy Okezie.”
So does my focus on startups and Internet companies make me an irrelevant technology blogger?
Third, I run the biggest and most popular technology news blog in Nigeria. We break the biggest stories around Internet companies, startups and innovations with worldwide exclusives. We also publish news (yes, we even rehash them), insightful opinion and reviews and analysis from time to time around the tech, mobile and broadband space.
So if anyone fails to remember when a Nigerian technology blog delivered really hot ‘industry’ news, then that person’s memory is utterly useless.
On a final note, we’re looking for tech reporters and writers who would cover key topical areas we’re venturing into in the coming months.
If you want to be relevant as a writer/reporter in Africa’s technology startup scene, then let’s discuss joining TechLoy.
Oh by the way, we’re gonna make those ‘iRelevant Blogger tee-shirts you see up there soon
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- TechLoy’s Top Women in Web and Tech Entrepreneurship
- BellaNaija’s Interview with Loy Okezie on How To Make ‘Legit’ Money From Online Ventures
- Google Offers African Students Chance To Become Online Marketing Pros
- Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt Funded Identified.com, A Startup By Nigerian Founders
- Jobberman’s Interview with Loy Okezie on Careers
- Oduntan Odubanjo: 9 Lessons Learned as a Google Intern
- Jobberman.com – Most Intuitive Job Search Portal in Nigeria
- Top 5 Valuable Skills You Need to Build Your Career
- 4 Strategies to Becoming Employable in Nigeria
- Facebook now has 100 million active users in India
- Rocket Internet’s hotel booking site Jovago launches in Pakistan
- Indonesian government toys with imposing 20% import taxes on foreign-made smartphones
- Samsung makes the Galaxy S5 and its new Gear devices commercially available globally
- Dimension Data opens office in Ghana
- Easter Egg Hunt! We Found the Year's Best Hidden Pop-Culture Goodies
- 3 Killed in Ukraine Gun Battle; Kiev and Moscow Trade Blame
- General Mills Backtracks on Legal Policy After Angering Facebook Users
- 16 Easter Candies Dissected for Sweet Science
- The Videophone Turns 50: The Historic Failure That Everybody Wanted
- The incredible disappearing HTC: what its SA strategy reveals about its global woes
- The 10 fastest production cars ever to lap the Nürburgring
- Is IAB’s Rising Star ad format another nail in banner advertising’s coffin?
- Intel presses for conflict-free minerals in Africa with new microprocessors
- Weibo’s bargain basement IPO: bad numbers, censorship and missed chances
- Who Gets Into Accelerators? Persistent Men With SaaS Apps, Says Study
- Crowdfunded Gadgets That Talk To Your Home And Charge Your Phone With Wind Power
- Messaging Is A Winner-Take-Some Market
- The Dawn Of Cloud 2.0 And Why Google Started A Price War
- Why Your Favorite App Isn’t Business-Related And How It Can Be
- RIP Flash: Why HTML5 will finally take over video and the Web this year
- 11 Android apps to make notifications more interesting
- The single biggest reason most entrepreneurs fail in 2014
- How to grow an awesome community to fuel your social startup
- Nike has reportedly canceled its FuelBand hardware project [Update]
- DDoS attacks in 2014: Smarter, bigger, faster, stronger
- Everything you need to know about wearables in 2014 (eBook)
- Here’s a look inside a typical VC’s pipeline (a must-read for entrepreneurs)
- Which state has the best electric-car savings? (Hint: It’s not California)
- Chinese giant JD.com launches a smart-hardware accelerator
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube