I’m not one who responds to ignorant criticisms of me or my work, but when Editi Effiong who’s not a ‘tech blogger’ said that Nigerian technology bloggers are not relevant, it becomes necessary to put things in proper perspective.
First, technology blogging in Nigeria is still in its early days and as a pioneering blogger in the Nigerian technology space, I’ve always felt that I’m still scratching the surface. Just imagine how covering a budding startup ‘industry’ (use that word loosely) with little or no stories to tell has been since April 2008! For me, it’s been a fun and challenging ride!
Second, that I’m a technology blogger doesn’t mean that I’m obligated to cover every single tech story or topic. As a matter of fact, I started blogging to cover and profile startups and Internet companies, NOT report on the telecom industry. CP Africa recently said that “it is virtually impossible to think of startups and Nigeria without thinking of Loy Okezie.”
So does my focus on startups and Internet companies make me an irrelevant technology blogger?
Third, I run the biggest and most popular technology news blog in Nigeria. We break the biggest stories around Internet companies, startups and innovations with worldwide exclusives. We also publish news (yes, we even rehash them), insightful opinion and reviews and analysis from time to time around the tech, mobile and broadband space.
So if anyone fails to remember when a Nigerian technology blog delivered really hot ‘industry’ news, then that person’s memory is utterly useless.
On a final note, we’re looking for tech reporters and writers who would cover key topical areas we’re venturing into in the coming months.
If you want to be relevant as a writer/reporter in Africa’s technology startup scene, then let’s discuss joining TechLoy.
Oh by the way, we’re gonna make those ‘iRelevant Blogger tee-shirts you see up there soon
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- TechLoy’s Top Women in Web and Tech Entrepreneurship
- BellaNaija’s Interview with Loy Okezie on How To Make ‘Legit’ Money From Online Ventures
- Google Offers African Students Chance To Become Online Marketing Pros
- Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt Funded Identified.com, A Startup By Nigerian Founders
- Jobberman’s Interview with Loy Okezie on Careers
- Oduntan Odubanjo: 9 Lessons Learned as a Google Intern
- Jobberman.com – Most Intuitive Job Search Portal in Nigeria
- Top 5 Valuable Skills You Need to Build Your Career
- 4 Strategies to Becoming Employable in Nigeria
- Labstyle ships app-connected Dario for diabetics, claiming it to be the most pocket-friendly glucose meter
- Watch this: Google Glass shows trailers when you look at a movie poster
- Apple reportedly increases discounts for its secret loyalty program
- Google takes its cloud on the road
- Get moving Android users: Jawbone UP24 now works with your phone
- New Jersey Becomes Third State To Ban Tesla’s Direct Sales Model
- A Very Flappy Crowdtilted Journalism Experiment
- SigFig Hires Financial Engines Exec Steve Lifgren To Build Out Its Operations Team
- Watch An Industrial Robot Nearly Beat A Professional Ping Pong Player At His Own Game – Sort Of
- 23andMe Founder Discusses The Promises And Perils Of Genetic Information
- Smart kegerator can keep track of how much beer your friends drank
- Technical recruiting is broken: Here are 4 ways to hire better
- Forget what you know: There’s no right way to start up
- You can help search for Flight MH370 with Tomnod’s crowdsourced satellite image platform
- Nikon launches “Behind the Scenes” series for photo enthusiasts
- No, Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg is not joining Disney
- ComputeNext takes $4M to turn the cloud marketplace into a into a one-stop shop
- Funding Daily: Electricity, clouds, and spam
- Want to save the world from asteroids? Using code? NASA has a job for you
- Game designer will turn a skyscraper into the world’s largest Tetris game
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube