I’m not one who responds to ignorant criticisms of me or my work, but when Editi Effiong who’s not a ‘tech blogger’ said that Nigerian technology bloggers are not relevant, it becomes necessary to put things in proper perspective.
First, technology blogging in Nigeria is still in its early days and as a pioneering blogger in the Nigerian technology space, I’ve always felt that I’m still scratching the surface. Just imagine how covering a budding startup ‘industry’ (use that word loosely) with little or no stories to tell has been since April 2008! For me, it’s been a fun and challenging ride!
Second, that I’m a technology blogger doesn’t mean that I’m obligated to cover every single tech story or topic. As a matter of fact, I started blogging to cover and profile startups and Internet companies, NOT report on the telecom industry. CP Africa recently said that “it is virtually impossible to think of startups and Nigeria without thinking of Loy Okezie.”
So does my focus on startups and Internet companies make me an irrelevant technology blogger?
Third, I run the biggest and most popular technology news blog in Nigeria. We break the biggest stories around Internet companies, startups and innovations with worldwide exclusives. We also publish news (yes, we even rehash them), insightful opinion and reviews and analysis from time to time around the tech, mobile and broadband space.
So if anyone fails to remember when a Nigerian technology blog delivered really hot ‘industry’ news, then that person’s memory is utterly useless.
On a final note, we’re looking for tech reporters and writers who would cover key topical areas we’re venturing into in the coming months.
If you want to be relevant as a writer/reporter in Africa’s technology startup scene, then let’s discuss joining TechLoy.
Oh by the way, we’re gonna make those ‘iRelevant Blogger tee-shirts you see up there soon
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- TechLoy’s Top Women in Web and Tech Entrepreneurship
- BellaNaija’s Interview with Loy Okezie on How To Make ‘Legit’ Money From Online Ventures
- Google Offers African Students Chance To Become Online Marketing Pros
- Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt Funded Identified.com, A Startup By Nigerian Founders
- Jobberman’s Interview with Loy Okezie on Careers
- Oduntan Odubanjo: 9 Lessons Learned as a Google Intern
- Jobberman.com – Most Intuitive Job Search Portal in Nigeria
- Top 5 Valuable Skills You Need to Build Your Career
- 4 Strategies to Becoming Employable in Nigeria
- Africa-Focused Social Music Platform, TruSpot Plans Re-Launch
- Google Translation Service Now Available In 5 New African Languages
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- How to build your brand with visual storytelling
- Researchers create a more accurate alternative to Wi-Fi for tracking people through walls
- Yahoo’s webmail outage continues to frustrate users
- New vision algorithm will label you ‘goth,’ try to sell you black makeup
- If you’re anything like my wife, you’ll love Amazon’s Kindle Fire HDX 8.9
- Fish rabbit car park: Dubious Mandela memorial signer has a Twitter account
- 10 big tech trends for 2014 and how to use them in your marketing strategy
- Amazon Prime Air: just another pipe dream or technological breakthrough?
- Carmine Gallo’s 3 unbreakable laws of communication [#LeWeb]
- The future of innovation is disruption says Brian Solis [#LeWeb]
- Google Sheets Gets Offline Editing, Speed Boost And Filter Views
- KeepTruckin Makes Trucking Fleet Management Easy And Compliant
- Microsoft Builds New Tool To Help Gmail Users Move To Outlook.com
- Tipalti Streamlines Mass , Global Payments For Ad Networks, Publishers, Affiliates And More
- Meet Leo, The Lightweight New Way To Send Self-Destructing Messages
- Facebook to join the S&P 100 and S&P 500 indices on December 20
- Google updates its Keep Web app with new design, option to rearrange lists, better search, and a navigation drawer
- Square opens up its Connect API to let merchants create custom solutions with their data
- Google launches 2D physics library LiquidFun, Google Play games plugin for Unity, and new game categories
- Gmail for Android gets a vacation responder, attachment support for all file types, and printing on KitKat
- Why Palantir nearly doubled its new funding round with $107M raise
- Accused revenge porn site owner arrested and charged with 31 felony counts
- The one feature Snapchat needs to add — and it won’t take $50 million
- Google Ventures helps pour $1.2M into smart kitchen company The Orange Chef
- Infamous brogrammer Pax Dickinson changes his tune, apologizes, agrees to work for ‘Ladyboss’
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube