Editor’s note: This post was written by Asoto Adeola, an interactive art director, specializing in the fields of Brand Strategy, Brand Identity & Digital Branding. It was originally published on his blog on June 02, 2011.
During a briefing session, a client brought an observation to my notice and raised a question why celebrities/artistes tend to have more fans/followers on social media, so I decided to probe into this to find out whether or not their fan base is a reality of followers or fans, I think I would leave you to judge.
For this post, I wont deliberate on the best fanpage with respect to digital strategy the page administrators are deploying but rather numbers of fans as that would be a later post.
A look at these celebrity pages shows that a reality of our choice of music and how influential they really are in the lives of Nigerians. Although some of these pages rarely interact/engage with their fans, they still raking in likes, well I guess that’s the reason they are popular.
Here are the Top 10 Nigerian Artists/Celebrity On Facebook:
10. Da Grin – 204k + fans
9. D’Banj – 219k + fans
8. Wande Coal – 240k + fans
7. Banky W – 242k + fans
6. Darey – 253k + fans
5. 2 Face Innocent Idibia – 276k + fans
4. M.I. – 331k + fans
3. Don Jazzy – 359k + fans
2. Stephanie Okereke – 384k + fans
1. Omotola – 570k + fans
One may derive the conclusion that, this list of celebrities are the top Nigerians on facebook except for public figures or politicians (GEJ with 567,826 fans) that might probably have more fans.
NOTE: If I have missed on any celebrity page that should be in the list, please do leave a comment as I have made every effort to ensure that statistics/information is correct as of time of posting (2nd of June, 2011).
Are you a fan of these celebrities?
Images courtesy of AsotoAdeola.com
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook To Display Ads on Mobile Apps?
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Zuckerberg to Startups: You don’t have to move to Silicon Valley
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Omotola vs Jonathan: The Race For 1 Million Facebook Fans
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- President Jonathan May Be ‘Liked’ On Facebook, But May Be ‘Unliked’ On Votebook
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- #WhatAboutUs? – Nigeria’s First Ever Youth-Focused Presidential Debate To Stream Live on YouTube
- [STATS] Accra Has More Facebook Users Than Lagos?
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- Ryan Seacrest funded Typo iPhone Keyboard coming in January for $99
- Yowza: Box touts $100M investment to fund global land grab
- Judge to punish lawyers for frivolous lawsuit over AOL-Microsoft patent “conspiracy”
- In pursuit of the Lunar X Prize, Moon Express reveals its moon-bound spacecraft
- Verizon quietly unleashes its LTE monster, tripling 4G capacity in major cities
- Microsoft’s Defense Against NSA’s Dark Arts: As Much Fantasy As Fact
- Don't Expect To Pay With Your Smartphone At The Mall This Holiday Season
- Google Takeout Expands Its Menu, Adds Downloadable Gmail And Appointments
- Measuring Up: My Next Challenge For ReadWriteBody
- The Latest New York Times Web App Misses The Point Of Responsive Design
- Mobile games firm DeNA launches manga app to boost its presence in entertainment
- Videogram updates its iOS app to help you better capture clips that are stitched into a video
- Spotify is reportedly launching a free, ad-supported mobile version of its music streaming service
- Google expands its in-depth article search results with related topics
- Heyday for iOS automatically journals your photos and locations so you don’t have to
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube