Editor’s note: This post was written by Asoto Adeola, an interactive art director, specializing in the fields of Brand Strategy, Brand Identity & Digital Branding. It was originally published on his blog on June 02, 2011.
During a briefing session, a client brought an observation to my notice and raised a question why celebrities/artistes tend to have more fans/followers on social media, so I decided to probe into this to find out whether or not their fan base is a reality of followers or fans, I think I would leave you to judge.
For this post, I wont deliberate on the best fanpage with respect to digital strategy the page administrators are deploying but rather numbers of fans as that would be a later post.
A look at these celebrity pages shows that a reality of our choice of music and how influential they really are in the lives of Nigerians. Although some of these pages rarely interact/engage with their fans, they still raking in likes, well I guess that’s the reason they are popular.
Here are the Top 10 Nigerian Artists/Celebrity On Facebook:
10. Da Grin – 204k + fans
9. D’Banj – 219k + fans
8. Wande Coal – 240k + fans
7. Banky W – 242k + fans
6. Darey – 253k + fans
5. 2 Face Innocent Idibia – 276k + fans
4. M.I. – 331k + fans
3. Don Jazzy – 359k + fans
2. Stephanie Okereke – 384k + fans
1. Omotola – 570k + fans
One may derive the conclusion that, this list of celebrities are the top Nigerians on facebook except for public figures or politicians (GEJ with 567,826 fans) that might probably have more fans.
NOTE: If I have missed on any celebrity page that should be in the list, please do leave a comment as I have made every effort to ensure that statistics/information is correct as of time of posting (2nd of June, 2011).
Are you a fan of these celebrities?
Images courtesy of AsotoAdeola.com
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook To Display Ads on Mobile Apps?
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Zuckerberg to Startups: You don’t have to move to Silicon Valley
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Omotola vs Jonathan: The Race For 1 Million Facebook Fans
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- President Jonathan May Be ‘Liked’ On Facebook, But May Be ‘Unliked’ On Votebook
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- #WhatAboutUs? – Nigeria’s First Ever Youth-Focused Presidential Debate To Stream Live on YouTube
- [STATS] Accra Has More Facebook Users Than Lagos?
- Why Facebook Is Losing Active Users in Nigeria [OPINION]
- Rocket Internet-Backed Vehicle Classified Ad Site, Carmido Launches To Challenge Cheki
- Google Policy Manager For Africa, Ory Okolloh Joins Omidyar Network
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- More sources say Intel Atom to power Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 3
- Who needs investors! Why many startups should bootstrap instead
- It’s a trap! Publishers crave an alternative to Google’s adtech “Death Star”
- How to create your own audiobooks
- Vine, hip-hop and the future of video sharing: old rap songs and new copyright rules
- Marissa Mayer Has Already Made One Big Mistake With Tumblr
- Google Planning Wireless Networks To Connect The Next 1B People - WSJ
- Microsoft And Google Declare A Truce In Their YouTube Fight
- iOS 7 Rumor Watch: 'Black, White and Flat All Over'
- Google Has A Trojan Horse To Disrupt TV: Really, Really Big Data
- Will The Xbox One Rule The Living Room? Price Will Determine The Size Of Its Kingdom
- What Games Are: Xbox One Is Microsoft's Spruce Goose
- Gillmor Gang: Parlor Games & Metaphones
- Reminder: Google Buzz Is Still Dead, Your Data Will Be Moved To Drive, And They Thank You For Using It
- The New "Handmade" (Part Two)
- The truth about being acquired
- eBay asks users to petition US House of Representatives over “unfair” Internet sales tax legislation
- Simplify your responsive design workflow with Screensiz.es, a database of mobile and desktop specs
- 11 tips for developing a mobile app that users will love
- UK TV legend Maggie Philbin on why we should all do more to tempt teens into a career in tech
- Why due diligence matters in equity crowdfunding
- DHS warns of vulnerability exposing employee social security numbers
- Peter Thiel’s venture firm to invest in space (exclusive)
- Yahoo continues spending spree by jumping into the bidding fray over Hulu
- Google and Microsoft agree to play nicely on a new YouTube Windows Phone app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube