Editor’s note: This post was written by Asoto Adeola, an interactive art director, specializing in the fields of Brand Strategy, Brand Identity & Digital Branding. It was originally published on his blog on June 02, 2011.
During a briefing session, a client brought an observation to my notice and raised a question why celebrities/artistes tend to have more fans/followers on social media, so I decided to probe into this to find out whether or not their fan base is a reality of followers or fans, I think I would leave you to judge.
For this post, I wont deliberate on the best fanpage with respect to digital strategy the page administrators are deploying but rather numbers of fans as that would be a later post.
A look at these celebrity pages shows that a reality of our choice of music and how influential they really are in the lives of Nigerians. Although some of these pages rarely interact/engage with their fans, they still raking in likes, well I guess that’s the reason they are popular.
Here are the Top 10 Nigerian Artists/Celebrity On Facebook:
10. Da Grin – 204k + fans
9. D’Banj – 219k + fans
8. Wande Coal – 240k + fans
7. Banky W – 242k + fans
6. Darey – 253k + fans
5. 2 Face Innocent Idibia – 276k + fans
4. M.I. – 331k + fans
3. Don Jazzy – 359k + fans
2. Stephanie Okereke – 384k + fans
1. Omotola – 570k + fans
One may derive the conclusion that, this list of celebrities are the top Nigerians on facebook except for public figures or politicians (GEJ with 567,826 fans) that might probably have more fans.
NOTE: If I have missed on any celebrity page that should be in the list, please do leave a comment as I have made every effort to ensure that statistics/information is correct as of time of posting (2nd of June, 2011).
Are you a fan of these celebrities?
Images courtesy of AsotoAdeola.com
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook To Display Ads on Mobile Apps?
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Zuckerberg to Startups: You don’t have to move to Silicon Valley
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Omotola vs Jonathan: The Race For 1 Million Facebook Fans
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- President Jonathan May Be ‘Liked’ On Facebook, But May Be ‘Unliked’ On Votebook
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- #WhatAboutUs? – Nigeria’s First Ever Youth-Focused Presidential Debate To Stream Live on YouTube
- [STATS] Accra Has More Facebook Users Than Lagos?
- South Africa’s Silvertree Capital Invests Into Two Nigerian E-Commerce Companies
- Etisalat-Hosted Digital Marketing Conference Brings Local And International Marketing Experts Together
- After Raising Close To $70 Million, E-Commerce Company, JUMIA Builds A 90,000 sqft Warehouse in Lagos
- Can You Type As Fast As Eku Edewor On The Blackberry Q10? [VIDEO]
- Move Over Konga! The Most Liked E-Commerce Site On Facebook Is…Jumia!
- The first 3D-printed battery is as tiny as a grain of sand
- Apple amends Siri’s response to suicide with more direct approach
- When your mother-in-law is endorsing you on LinkedIn, it’s time to question endorsements
- SpaceCurve raises $10M to make sense of our streams of location data
- Google files free speech challenge to FISA gag orders, renews criticism of Guardian
- Busting the myths: why linking out will not kill your website
- Don’t fluff the facts: 3 keys to good reputation management
- Are you losing it with social media? Here’s how to find your way again
- #YouKnowYoureSouthAfricanWhen: can hashtags shape a nation’s story?
- Lumia 920 review: It’s big, it’s really big, but oh so sexy
- TC Cribs: Quirky, The NYC Startup Where Unique Inventions Are Brought To Life
- Google Fights Spying Gag Order, But Key Details Would Lack Even If Successful
- The Series A Round Is The New Series B Round
- GameStick Android Console Ship Date Delayed Until August To Refine UI
- The Offline Glass Ensures You Talk, Not Text, At The Bar
- DISH drops Sprint merger bid to focus on Clearwire deal
- Some developers already seeing more active users running iOS 7 than are still on iOS 5
- Nvidia announces new plan to license GPU cores and visual computing patents
- Dell Special Committee slaps Icahn’s new proposal as incomplete, risky
- Google alternative DuckDuckGo hit nearly 3.1M queries yesterday, up 50% in 8 days as PRISM fears rise
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube