Editor’s note: This post was written by Asoto Adeola, an interactive art director, specializing in the fields of Brand Strategy, Brand Identity & Digital Branding. It was originally published on his blog on June 02, 2011.
During a briefing session, a client brought an observation to my notice and raised a question why celebrities/artistes tend to have more fans/followers on social media, so I decided to probe into this to find out whether or not their fan base is a reality of followers or fans, I think I would leave you to judge.
For this post, I wont deliberate on the best fanpage with respect to digital strategy the page administrators are deploying but rather numbers of fans as that would be a later post.
A look at these celebrity pages shows that a reality of our choice of music and how influential they really are in the lives of Nigerians. Although some of these pages rarely interact/engage with their fans, they still raking in likes, well I guess that’s the reason they are popular.
Here are the Top 10 Nigerian Artists/Celebrity On Facebook:
10. Da Grin – 204k + fans
9. D’Banj – 219k + fans
8. Wande Coal – 240k + fans
7. Banky W – 242k + fans
6. Darey – 253k + fans
5. 2 Face Innocent Idibia – 276k + fans
4. M.I. – 331k + fans
3. Don Jazzy – 359k + fans
2. Stephanie Okereke – 384k + fans
1. Omotola – 570k + fans
One may derive the conclusion that, this list of celebrities are the top Nigerians on facebook except for public figures or politicians (GEJ with 567,826 fans) that might probably have more fans.
NOTE: If I have missed on any celebrity page that should be in the list, please do leave a comment as I have made every effort to ensure that statistics/information is correct as of time of posting (2nd of June, 2011).
Are you a fan of these celebrities?
Images courtesy of AsotoAdeola.com
Related Posts via Categories
- Facebook To Display Ads on Mobile Apps?
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Zuckerberg to Startups: You don’t have to move to Silicon Valley
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Omotola vs Jonathan: The Race For 1 Million Facebook Fans
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- President Jonathan May Be ‘Liked’ On Facebook, But May Be ‘Unliked’ On Votebook
- Facebook is Hiring: Growth Manager in Lagos, Nigeria
- #WhatAboutUs? – Nigeria’s First Ever Youth-Focused Presidential Debate To Stream Live on YouTube
- [STATS] Accra Has More Facebook Users Than Lagos?
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- Google catches French finance ministry pretending to be Google
- IBM researchers discover how to treat drug-resistant fungal infections with recycled plastic
- Leading U.S. tech firms beg governments (starting with theirs) to reform surveillance practices
- Whatever happened to the pay-as-you-go beauty of SaaS?
- The continuing evolution of the mobile business app ecosystem
- 4 massive trends and events that completely changed the face of tech in 2013
- Apple’s app diet: how it took a step backwards with iLife and iWork
- South African entrepreneurs take a bow: a North American’s perspective
- Web hosting: the complete beginner’s guide
- Asia still needs a decade before it leads the tech world: here’s why
- Amazon’s Kindle FreeTime Becomes An Even Better Babysitter, With New Educational Feature That Tells Kids To “Learn First,” Play Later
- DreamRoomer And MeDesk Take The Honours At TechCrunch Moscow 2013
- Zofari Debuts A “Pandora For Places” On iPhone & Android
- Google Starts Testing Paid +Post Ads For Google+ Content With Launch Partners Toyota And Cadbury
- Square Reveals A Thinner Credit Card Reader With Higher Accuracy And More Device Compatibility
- Offline over the weekend? Read all the tech news you missed right here
- China’s UC Browser broadens its horizons with deal to buy iOS app marketplace PP Assistant
- 5 new free BBC HD channels will be switched on tomorrow
- Google Play gift cards come to Japan, offering up to ¥20,000 ($195) per card
- China Mobile will reportedly begin accepting orders for Apple’s new iPhones this week
- Facebook, Google, Twitter, and more create the Reform Government Surveillance coalition
- Obama kicks off CS Education Week with Code.org: ‘Don’t just play on your phone, program it’
- Why mobile payment systems fail
- Will all-in-one electric bicycle wheels swamp electric cars?
- Everything visible: How wearable cameras are changing the way we think about public space
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube