According to Google, the new search domain for Somalia would make it easier for Somali users to access search in their preferred languages – Arabic English, and Somali. Google believes that the new domain would help people in Somalia to find locally relevant information, faster and easier.
In case you don’t know, Somali is one of the 5 major languages in Ethiopia, and one of the two languages of Djibouti, apart from its national use in Somalia and Somaliland. It is also spoken in northern Kenya and increasingly in Nairobi.
This project was part of the Google Africa community translation program, and was entirely translated by a passionate group of volunteers, native speakers, language specialists and journalists in Eastleigh estate in Nairobi.
Related Posts via Categories
- My Article About How Google Can Localise Search in Africa Featured BBC Focus On Africa Magazine
- Can Italy’s Volunia Out-Google Google Search?
- Ex-Google Kenya Head Said She ‘Decided To Leave’? Don’t Buy It!
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Has Google Kenya Country Manager Been Fired?
- GoodBye Google Adsense. Welcome ‘Ads by TechLoy’!
- Why Google’s Project GNBO Is Net-Colonialism!
- Today’s Google Doodle Celebrates Africa Day
- Google’s AdSense for Mobile Content Comes To Nigeria
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- Uber’s Kalanick will likely rule the world while Kawasaki misses out [#LeWeb]
- The Next 10 years: shots of the first day of Le Web 2013 [Gallery]
- Forget NFC payments, iBeacon could change everything
- Is your company ready for the next ten years? Asks Jeremiah Owyang #LeWeb
- 25 tech trends changing our world from #LeWeb founder Loic Le Meur
- Palantir’s Latest Round Valuing It At $9B Swells To $107.8M In New Funding
- nWay Raises $5M To Build Out ChronoBlade MMO Game
- Meet Kubo, The Crowdfunded Electric Cargo Scooter Made By Lit Motors
- Extole Raises $5M To Reward Customers For Promoting Products To Their Friends
- Lovely’s Apartment Rental App Moves Into Its New Digs On Android
- Google is building password-free locking and unlocking into Chrome OS; use a phone, ring, watch, or badge instead
- 61 languages are found on Twitter. Here’s how they rank in popularity.
- Microsoft releases first major Xbox One update, fixes SmartGlass, multiplayer, notification, and wireless issues
- Twitter updates iOS, Android apps with photo sharing via DM and swipe to change timelines
- The Surface 2 and Lumia 2520 are nice tablets, but not nice enough to save Windows RT
- PaeDae gets a pay day as it collects $11.6M to expand beyond mobile game rewards
- FOCUS TRAINR App Transforms Wearable Fitness Devices from Data Trackers into Virtual Personal Trainers
- The future is enchanted objects, not glass slabs
- Just sending an SMS does not protect your users
- Evernote for the enterprise: Huddle rolls out notes feature alongside redesigned iOS app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube