According to Google, the new search domain for Somalia would make it easier for Somali users to access search in their preferred languages – Arabic English, and Somali. Google believes that the new domain would help people in Somalia to find locally relevant information, faster and easier.
In case you don’t know, Somali is one of the 5 major languages in Ethiopia, and one of the two languages of Djibouti, apart from its national use in Somalia and Somaliland. It is also spoken in northern Kenya and increasingly in Nairobi.
This project was part of the Google Africa community translation program, and was entirely translated by a passionate group of volunteers, native speakers, language specialists and journalists in Eastleigh estate in Nairobi.
Related Posts via Categories
- My Article About How Google Can Localise Search in Africa Featured BBC Focus On Africa Magazine
- Can Italy’s Volunia Out-Google Google Search?
- Ex-Google Kenya Head Said She ‘Decided To Leave’? Don’t Buy It!
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Has Google Kenya Country Manager Been Fired?
- GoodBye Google Adsense. Welcome ‘Ads by TechLoy’!
- Why Google’s Project GNBO Is Net-Colonialism!
- Today’s Google Doodle Celebrates Africa Day
- Google’s AdSense for Mobile Content Comes To Nigeria
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- Why Facebook Is Losing Active Users in Nigeria [OPINION]
- Rocket Internet-Backed Vehicle Classified Ad Site, Carmido Launches To Challenge Cheki
- Google Policy Manager For Africa, Ory Okolloh Joins Omidyar Network
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- If Google isn’t trying to snatch Waze away from Facebook, it really should be
- Changes ahead: more details on how iOS 7 will look
- Why you should do your own mobile app store research before buying a phone
- With portfolio consolidation in sight, SAP cloud chief Lars Dalgaard steps down
- Don’t forget these apps when packing for your Disney trip
- Flickr Suffers Outage Four Days After Major Revamp
- Cubic Telecom Secures $5.2M To Create Devices That Roam Mobile Networks Cheaply
- AngelPad's Sixth Batch Of Startups Includes Companies Working On Drones, Storage, And More
- Online Video-Ad Network Tremor Video Files For Its IPO
- Adly Raises $2M More As It Expands Tools For Social Media Celebrity Endorsements
- Pixplit, the Instagram for social photo collages, now enables private and solo ‘splits’
- Mentor launches an “anti to-do list” app for iOS, pitting itself against US rivals Lift and Everest
- Sony newspaper ad reveals the PlayStation 4 will launch in the UK by the end of 2013
- China’s online retailer LightInTheBox sets IPO terms, could raise up to $87 million
- Flickr’s Fail Panda spotted as site suffers first outage 4 days after its revamp (Update: Now back online)
- Pandora’s 40-hour listening cap translates to a record 700K new paid subscribers
- Funding Daily: Cash for the ‘stache
- Evernote announces reminders as forgetful everywhere breathe easier
- JustFab acquires The Fab Shoes to take on the European market
- LoyalBlocks makes rewarding customers easier with a $9M first round
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube