World famous hacking event, Garage48 started today May 6 in Lagos, Nigeria and ends on Sunday, May 8. Garage48 is an event for brave and active startup-minded people who want to develop their new idea into a product (or working prototype) within 48 hours.
Here are the ideas pitched at Garage48 Lagos:
MecaniClick – get a mechanic on-line, or via SMS. Somebody who has a good track reckord or is specialized on your type of the car. Web based system.
FTube (Facebook Youtube) - extract all the videos from Facebook and watch them as they would be on Youtube. Revenue share with the owners of the video, focus on the web app.
Extramil.es - making the “heling of other individuals” more effective. Extramiles will help you to sign up as an volunteer and donate your time for volunteer work. Referral based system. Monetized through enterprize service – corporates have to pay, advertisement and donations.
Parkbench - Meet people to share the interests. See who’s near you and what are their interests. Helps real-life introductions. Combines location, people, and interests in mobile and web.
Lecture Wall - an educational networking site and on-line educational community. Lecturers and students can meet. Lecturers can sell their lecture materials, students can get the materials and teachings.
City Explorer – Applications helping to explore your city and promotes local businesses. Improve the search results for the off-line businesses. On mobile and web. Helps to search for your places of interests.
MyCash - For people who track their expenses: people who need to budget (eg. students) can track and share their expenses. Through sharing others can also find good deals on the products and services or just the fact that the purchase was made. A mobile app.
TellMeTraffic – community driven trafic chattig app, to share the traffic information. Web based app accessible through mobile. People are very bored in 3 hour Lagos traffic jams.
Qmash – a data mashup, which allows its users to search for pictures, video, and music, later to download on the PC. Helps with format problems, since this is done on-line.
Evrica Events – event management system for Africa. Helps creating events and searching the events. Event publicity, registration and participation. A social booking system.
Nigerian Food Recipe Web and Mobile Solution – web app with recepies and guidelines (even videos) to make Nigerian food.
TalentME - system for Nigerians who like to express themselves helping to share their talents (singing, dancing) leading to profitable ends. Place to show-case yourself. Source of leads for talent hunters.
Tagwire – Location based search engine / social network facilitating contacts between individuals (helps finding a new girlfriend who plays chess). Money: premium accounts.
VeriPORT - On-line stock verification, stockbroker verification, news and events. To verify stock details in Nigeria takes 3-4 weeks.
iGetSkills - Bring people together with different skill set, help them collaborate, start up ideas and give a platform to sell their services.
Flippii - for Nigerian developers – share ideas and get feedback. Interested developers can join the project.
thisRoad - help people to present traffic solutions for their routes, influence the authorities. On web and mobile.
Banner Exchange Network – digitizing the print banners, and broadcast it on the Facebook through the network of broadcasters – through tagging their friends on the add photos.
isThis – is this a good food, nice place, a bad person etc. Take a picture and ask the question – an app for simple feedback for stuff you see and can take pictures of. Money – advertising.
One Word per Day – Getting local languages into and out of the Google Translator. A simple translation service. Helps to spread the language into the world with adding a language to google translate. Web and mobile app.
Me and my Celeb – allows to hang out with your celeb and interact with them.
Customer Service Aggregation Agency – customer service is terrible in Nigeria. A service for companies to employ students to be used as call center agents. People can sign up as potential call center workers have a training (learning about the company and the product) – makes the call service available for smaller businesses.
iDemocracy – follow politics/elections with your mobile. Put politics on-line, create a track reckord for politicians.
Yarn something - Piggeon English dictionary – help others to understand how people are talking in Nigeria.
Social E-Learning - Social network for e-learning on web and mobile.
Out of these 25 ideas, only 9 ideas (in bold green) found a team to develop it further. The other ideas were closed. Participants were allowed to choose their favourite ideas and form teams.
Garage48 continues tomorrow with teams developing on these 9 ideas. Garage48 started out in Estonia and has been successful in Europe. The next Garage48 event in Africa holds in Ghana on May 13 – 15.
Related Posts via Categories
- Guess Who’s Coming To TEDxVictoriaIsland?
- Speaking at a Consumer Engagement Workshop in Lagos
- 2nd MobileMonday (MoMo) Meetup Holds Today
- 9 Startups To Demo At “Tech Open Day With Sarah Lacy” Event
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- World Famous Hacking Event, Garage48 Comes to Nigeria
- TechCrunch’s Sarah Lacy Coming To Nigeria in May
- #WhatAboutUs? – Nigeria’s First Ever Youth-Focused Presidential Debate To Stream Live on YouTube
- 6 Tech Ideas Shortlisted For Tech-in-Governance
- Announcing Nigeria’s Best Use of Social Media at #SowambeAwards
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- NSA’s taste for cookies reveals the danger of marketing-driven web tracking
- Rdio brings its Spotify competitor to 20 more countries
- HP’s new CloudSystems bundle “hardened” OpenStack
- Beastie Boys countersue as fair use fight over “Girls” song escalates
- Twitter ousts Facebook as best tech employer, survey says
- 10 big tech trends for 2014 and how to use them in your marketing strategy
- Amazon Prime Air: just another pipe dream or technological breakthrough?
- Carmine Gallo’s 3 unbreakable laws of communication [#LeWeb]
- 10 of the most iconic phones of our time
- Proper gov’t regulation will fix NSA spying & protect data [#LeWeb]
- Palantir’s Latest Round Valuing It At $9B Swells To $107.8M In New Funding
- nWay Raises $5M To Build Out ChronoBlade MMO Game
- Meet Kubo, The Crowdfunded Electric Cargo Scooter Made By Lit Motors
- Extole Raises $5M To Reward Customers For Promoting Products To Their Friends
- Lovely’s Apartment Rental App Moves Into Its New Digs On Android
- Digia releases Qt 5.2 with Android and iOS support, previews Windows RT, and launches Qt mobile edition
- Valve redesigns its Steam Mobile for iOS app, adds offline chat, new friend invite area and more
- Angry Birds Go! is now available for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10
- Japan has overtaken the US as the world’s biggest spender on mobile apps
- YouTube reveals its top 10 videos for 2013 (What Does YouTube Say?)
- PaeDae gets a pay day as it collects $11.6M to expand beyond mobile game rewards
- FOCUS TRAINR App Transforms Wearable Fitness Devices from Data Trackers into Virtual Personal Trainers
- The future is enchanted objects, not glass slabs
- Just sending an SMS does not protect your users
- Evernote for the enterprise: Huddle rolls out notes feature alongside redesigned iOS app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube