World famous hacking event, Garage48 started today May 6 in Lagos, Nigeria and ends on Sunday, May 8. Garage48 is an event for brave and active startup-minded people who want to develop their new idea into a product (or working prototype) within 48 hours.
Here are the ideas pitched at Garage48 Lagos:
MecaniClick – get a mechanic on-line, or via SMS. Somebody who has a good track reckord or is specialized on your type of the car. Web based system.
FTube (Facebook Youtube) - extract all the videos from Facebook and watch them as they would be on Youtube. Revenue share with the owners of the video, focus on the web app.
Extramil.es - making the “heling of other individuals” more effective. Extramiles will help you to sign up as an volunteer and donate your time for volunteer work. Referral based system. Monetized through enterprize service – corporates have to pay, advertisement and donations.
Parkbench - Meet people to share the interests. See who’s near you and what are their interests. Helps real-life introductions. Combines location, people, and interests in mobile and web.
Lecture Wall - an educational networking site and on-line educational community. Lecturers and students can meet. Lecturers can sell their lecture materials, students can get the materials and teachings.
City Explorer – Applications helping to explore your city and promotes local businesses. Improve the search results for the off-line businesses. On mobile and web. Helps to search for your places of interests.
MyCash - For people who track their expenses: people who need to budget (eg. students) can track and share their expenses. Through sharing others can also find good deals on the products and services or just the fact that the purchase was made. A mobile app.
TellMeTraffic – community driven trafic chattig app, to share the traffic information. Web based app accessible through mobile. People are very bored in 3 hour Lagos traffic jams.
Qmash – a data mashup, which allows its users to search for pictures, video, and music, later to download on the PC. Helps with format problems, since this is done on-line.
Evrica Events – event management system for Africa. Helps creating events and searching the events. Event publicity, registration and participation. A social booking system.
Nigerian Food Recipe Web and Mobile Solution – web app with recepies and guidelines (even videos) to make Nigerian food.
TalentME - system for Nigerians who like to express themselves helping to share their talents (singing, dancing) leading to profitable ends. Place to show-case yourself. Source of leads for talent hunters.
Tagwire – Location based search engine / social network facilitating contacts between individuals (helps finding a new girlfriend who plays chess). Money: premium accounts.
VeriPORT - On-line stock verification, stockbroker verification, news and events. To verify stock details in Nigeria takes 3-4 weeks.
iGetSkills - Bring people together with different skill set, help them collaborate, start up ideas and give a platform to sell their services.
Flippii - for Nigerian developers – share ideas and get feedback. Interested developers can join the project.
thisRoad - help people to present traffic solutions for their routes, influence the authorities. On web and mobile.
Banner Exchange Network – digitizing the print banners, and broadcast it on the Facebook through the network of broadcasters – through tagging their friends on the add photos.
isThis – is this a good food, nice place, a bad person etc. Take a picture and ask the question – an app for simple feedback for stuff you see and can take pictures of. Money – advertising.
One Word per Day – Getting local languages into and out of the Google Translator. A simple translation service. Helps to spread the language into the world with adding a language to google translate. Web and mobile app.
Me and my Celeb – allows to hang out with your celeb and interact with them.
Customer Service Aggregation Agency – customer service is terrible in Nigeria. A service for companies to employ students to be used as call center agents. People can sign up as potential call center workers have a training (learning about the company and the product) – makes the call service available for smaller businesses.
iDemocracy – follow politics/elections with your mobile. Put politics on-line, create a track reckord for politicians.
Yarn something - Piggeon English dictionary – help others to understand how people are talking in Nigeria.
Social E-Learning - Social network for e-learning on web and mobile.
Out of these 25 ideas, only 9 ideas (in bold green) found a team to develop it further. The other ideas were closed. Participants were allowed to choose their favourite ideas and form teams.
Garage48 continues tomorrow with teams developing on these 9 ideas. Garage48 started out in Estonia and has been successful in Europe. The next Garage48 event in Africa holds in Ghana on May 13 – 15.
Related Posts via Categories
- Guess Who’s Coming To TEDxVictoriaIsland?
- Speaking at a Consumer Engagement Workshop in Lagos
- 2nd MobileMonday (MoMo) Meetup Holds Today
- 9 Startups To Demo At “Tech Open Day With Sarah Lacy” Event
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- World Famous Hacking Event, Garage48 Comes to Nigeria
- TechCrunch’s Sarah Lacy Coming To Nigeria in May
- #WhatAboutUs? – Nigeria’s First Ever Youth-Focused Presidential Debate To Stream Live on YouTube
- 6 Tech Ideas Shortlisted For Tech-in-Governance
- Announcing Nigeria’s Best Use of Social Media at #SowambeAwards
- South Africa’s Silvertree Capital Invests Into Two Nigerian E-Commerce Companies
- Etisalat-Hosted Digital Marketing Conference Brings Local And International Marketing Experts Together
- After Raising Close To $70 Million, E-Commerce Company, JUMIA Builds A 90,000 sqft Warehouse in Lagos
- Can You Type As Fast As Eku Edewor On The Blackberry Q10? [VIDEO]
- Move Over Konga! The Most Liked E-Commerce Site On Facebook Is…Jumia!
- In new startup, Javier Soltero aims to sell enterprise software with end users in mind
- For some in Arab nations, Facebook is the only news source that matters
- Feedly hits 12 million users, launches web version and quits relying on Google’s backend
- Rockmelt brings its social news app to Android
- The Samsung Mega becomes the first officially certified 802.11ac Wi-Fi device
- ERN Raises Further $1.6M To Use Big Data To Help Banks And Merchants Push Loyalty-Based Offers
- Netflix Will Launch In The Netherlands Later This Year As Its International Expansion Slows
- Ooyala Sets Up R&D Center In Singapore To Chase Mobile Audiences In Asia
- Teambox Adds High-Definition Video Conferencing, Market Looks for Deeper Collaboration
- Fab Grabs $150M At $1B Valuation (And Is Raising Another $100M+ More)
- Singtel partners with Shopify to broaden the e-commerce platform’s reach in Asia
- Nokia and Intel-backed project examining the future of the ’3D Internet’ reaches its end
- TripAdvisor acquires GateGuru, a mobile app for real-time info on airports, flight times and more
- Facebook storms past 1 million active advertisers mark
- Tesla Motors recalls Model S cars built in May and June 2013 due to weakened mounting bracket
- Nvidia’s bold plan to conquer new graphics territory: licensing its chips
- FindTheCompany releases data on 30M businesses to clue in consumers
- Funding Daily: The doctor is in
- Dish jilts Sprint to focus attention on Clearwire in a sordid saga of spectrum
- Tech, entertainment, & fashion collide at Silicon Beach Fest
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube