President Jonathan Appoints New NITDA DG, Pledges $500 million For IT Industry
In what might appear to be a desperate move in order to garner support for his presidential bid from the Nigerian tech and social media community, President Goodluck Jonathan has appointed ‘Gbenga Sesan as the new Director General of NITDA.
Update: This was an April Fool’s Day post
Mr. Sesan, who was Nigeria’s first IT Youth Ambassador and currently the Executive Director of Paradigm Initiative Nigeria (PIN) now replaces Professor Cleopas Angaye as Director General of the Nigerian Information Technology Development Agency.
President Jonathan announced this today during a private lunch at the Nicon Hilton, Abuja with some of the tech industry’s movers and shakers, including Chris Uwaje (ISPON President), Florence Seriki (CEO, Omatek) and Leo-Stan Ekeh (MD, Zinox).
The strictly-by-invitation lunch also provided the President an opportunity to learn some of the key challenges that are affecting Nigeria’s technology industry and entertain suggestions from the experts on how to transform the industry.
As at time of writing this, details are yet to emerge as to the outcome of their discussions. Also, it is uncertain why the President made the appointment, but sources say that he could be lobbying in a bid to win the votes of the tech community comprising mostly of young IT professionals and software developers.
President Jonathan further pledged the sum of $500 million for Nigeria’s technology industry for software development in the country.
Earlier reports had indicated that the Institute of Software Practitioners of Nigeria (ISPON) was already shopping for over N500 million investment for software development in Nigeria.
With President Jonathan’s pledge to bail out the IT industry, it is expected that the funds would be spent in technology infrastructure and manpower development.
We’ll update this post as soon as we have more information. Update: This was an April Fool’s Day post
Image via Flickr courtesy of CSTS_SCU
Do you like this post? Subscribe to this blog’s feed at http://loyokezie.com/feed and share the post.
Related Posts via Categories
- #CashlessLagos: Why Should Access Bank Charge Customers To Use Its Electronic Channels?
- CNN Gaffes On African Tech Voices List. Literally.
- Facebook Account Gets Budget Allocation in Nigerian Government?
- How IROKOtv could become the ‘Netflix of Africa’
- Announcing Pre-Release of Techloy Directory!
- Why Google’s Project GNBO Is Net-Colonialism!
- @MobitelNigeria Doesn’t Just Tweet, They Listen To Customer Twiplaints
- TechLoy.com, the new blog in the tech bloc
- Nigerian URL Shortener Yrn.me Redesigns
- Tech Round-up: This Week’s Hottest Tech Stories
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- Nelson Mandela: the numbers behind the internet’s heartbreak
- How the web looked the day Nelson Mandela died: 55+ top sites transformed
- Mandela mourned, NSA knows where you are and Amazon’s drones: #StuffToKnow this week
- Wishes and condolences: Nelson Mandela’s last days as told on social media
- #RIPNelsonMandela: Twitter mourns a global icon
- Evntlive Could Help Yahoo Fix Its Broken Video Experience
- Here Are The 38 Startups Pitching At TechCrunch Moscow Today
- Tune In For The Live Stream From TechCrunch Moscow, 2 Days Of Startups And Speakers
- Verizon Is Acquiring Content Delivery Network EdgeCast For More Than $350 Million
- CrunchWeek: Amazon Drones, Uber’s Leaked Revenue, 23andMe’s FDA Trouble
- Xero adds payroll to its accounting platform for US small businesses with limited availability
- Here is everything Google changed from Android 4.4 to Android 4.4.1
- The true value of success lies beyond the ledger
- The Xbox One is the ultimate culmination of Microsoft’s vision
- 8 strategic hacks for building marketplace liquidity
- Why mobile payment systems fail
- Will all-in-one electric bicycle wheels swamp electric cars?
- Everything visible: How wearable cameras are changing the way we think about public space
- After delivering 100B push messages, Urban Airship releases its deepest push analytics report yet
- Why America’s kids need a national Digital Citizenship curriculum
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube