President Jonathan Appoints New NITDA DG, Pledges $500 million For IT Industry
In what might appear to be a desperate move in order to garner support for his presidential bid from the Nigerian tech and social media community, President Goodluck Jonathan has appointed ‘Gbenga Sesan as the new Director General of NITDA.
Update: This was an April Fool’s Day post
Mr. Sesan, who was Nigeria’s first IT Youth Ambassador and currently the Executive Director of Paradigm Initiative Nigeria (PIN) now replaces Professor Cleopas Angaye as Director General of the Nigerian Information Technology Development Agency.
President Jonathan announced this today during a private lunch at the Nicon Hilton, Abuja with some of the tech industry’s movers and shakers, including Chris Uwaje (ISPON President), Florence Seriki (CEO, Omatek) and Leo-Stan Ekeh (MD, Zinox).
The strictly-by-invitation lunch also provided the President an opportunity to learn some of the key challenges that are affecting Nigeria’s technology industry and entertain suggestions from the experts on how to transform the industry.
As at time of writing this, details are yet to emerge as to the outcome of their discussions. Also, it is uncertain why the President made the appointment, but sources say that he could be lobbying in a bid to win the votes of the tech community comprising mostly of young IT professionals and software developers.
President Jonathan further pledged the sum of $500 million for Nigeria’s technology industry for software development in the country.
Earlier reports had indicated that the Institute of Software Practitioners of Nigeria (ISPON) was already shopping for over N500 million investment for software development in Nigeria.
With President Jonathan’s pledge to bail out the IT industry, it is expected that the funds would be spent in technology infrastructure and manpower development.
We’ll update this post as soon as we have more information. Update: This was an April Fool’s Day post
Image via Flickr courtesy of CSTS_SCU
Do you like this post? Subscribe to this blog’s feed at http://loyokezie.com/feed and share the post.
Related Posts via Categories
- #CashlessLagos: Why Should Access Bank Charge Customers To Use Its Electronic Channels?
- CNN Gaffes On African Tech Voices List. Literally.
- Facebook Account Gets Budget Allocation in Nigerian Government?
- How IROKOtv could become the ‘Netflix of Africa’
- Announcing Pre-Release of Techloy Directory!
- Why Google’s Project GNBO Is Net-Colonialism!
- @MobitelNigeria Doesn’t Just Tweet, They Listen To Customer Twiplaints
- TechLoy.com, the new blog in the tech bloc
- Nigerian URL Shortener Yrn.me Redesigns
- Tech Round-up: This Week’s Hottest Tech Stories
- Why Facebook Is Losing Active Users in Nigeria [OPINION]
- Rocket Internet-Backed Vehicle Classified Ad Site, Carmido Launches To Challenge Cheki
- Google Policy Manager For Africa, Ory Okolloh Joins Omidyar Network
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- Marissa Mayer Has Already Made One Big Mistake With Tumblr
- Google Planning Wireless Networks To Connect The Next 1B People - WSJ
- Microsoft And Google Declare A Truce In Their YouTube Fight
- iOS 7 Rumor Watch: 'Black, White and Flat All Over'
- Google Has A Trojan Horse To Disrupt TV: Really, Really Big Data
- Will The Xbox One Rule The Living Room? Price Will Determine The Size Of Its Kingdom
- What Games Are: Xbox One Is Microsoft's Spruce Goose
- Gillmor Gang: Parlor Games & Metaphones
- Reminder: Google Buzz Is Still Dead, Your Data Will Be Moved To Drive, And They Thank You For Using It
- The New "Handmade" (Part Two)
- The truth about being acquired
- eBay asks users to petition US House of Representatives over “unfair” Internet sales tax legislation
- Simplify your responsive design workflow with Screensiz.es, a database of mobile and desktop specs
- 11 tips for developing a mobile app that users will love
- UK TV legend Maggie Philbin on why we should all do more to tempt teens into a career in tech
- Why due diligence matters in equity crowdfunding
- DHS warns of vulnerability exposing employee social security numbers
- Peter Thiel’s venture firm to invest in space (exclusive)
- Yahoo continues spending spree by jumping into the bidding fray over Hulu
- Google and Microsoft agree to play nicely on a new YouTube Windows Phone app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube