There are two things that you can’t take away from Nigerians: Facebook and News.
If you give a Nigerian a mobile phone with internet access, he’ll most likely visit Facebook or search for news on Google.
And just make your news site mobile-friendly, and they’ll show you love.
That’s exactly what we can see from the latest Opera State of the Mobile Web report, January 2011.
Vanguard, one of Nigeria’s leading newspapers recently made its website – which runs on the WordPress platform, mobile-friendly barely two months ago.
The site now ranks number 8th most visited site in Nigeria in the Opera Mini report.
Here’s the full list of the top 10 most visited sites in Nigeria (January 2011) by unique users:
Over the last few months, Vanguard improved on their content production and distribution and seemed to have re-evaluated their content strategy.
Also noteworthy is how they’ve embraced and engaged with their audience via social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, paying keen and close attention to the conversations on the social web.
Last July, I wrote about Vanguard launching their news content on an exisiting mobile app powered by Newshunt.
The mobile app enables you to read Vanguard Newspaper right from your mobile phone 24/7 on the go and is completely free.
All of these put together and other factors have made Vanguard become one of the most innovative newspaper organizations in Nigeria.
Vanguard now ranks alongside news content sites like BBC, Goal.com and CNN Mobile.
Surprisingly, Nairaland which is a rich-content site longer ranks on the top 10 list, as it used to.
Will Vanguard move up in the rankings? Will other Nigerian news sites copy Vanguard’s mobile web strategy?
While Vanguard has demonstrated innovation in making news readily and easily accessible, I’m waiting to see their apps on Blackberry, iPad and Android devices.
Related Posts via Categories
- Mobicanvas – An Innovative Mobile Site Builder
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Vanguard Emerges 5th Most Visited Site on Opera Mini Browser
- NCC Shutdown Mobile Communications in Abuja
- 2nd MobileMonday (MoMo) Meetup Holds Today
- Google’s AdSense for Mobile Content Comes To Nigeria
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- ThisDay Newspaper Launches iPad App
- Nigeria Sees Huge Mobile Advertising Growth
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- Etisalat Plans Support For Local App Developers in Nigeria
- How Akure Is Building A Promising Tech Startup Culture And Community
- EXCLUSIVE: Google Nigeria Programs Manager Quits, Joins Konga
- Splinter.me wants to replace your resume and offer career guidance
- OpenStack cloud builder Cloudscaling nets $10M from Juniper, Seagate and friends
- Amazon’s new Kindle Worlds gives authors a way to sell fan fiction without legal hassles
- ‘Personal cameraman’ Swivl gets $500k from Grishin Robotics to go big in education
- Who will be the last one at HTC left standing in the US?
- What the construction industry needs to use social media to its full potential
- 3 steps for accelerating your startup’s productivity into high growth
- Undervalued display ads, mobile: how Tumblr will earn Yahoo billions
- It’s not over yet: why ecommerce giant Alibaba’s future looks bright
- The South African police’s website was hacked… and they didn’t even know it
- Encoding.com's Vid.ly Integrates With FreeWheel To Provide Monetization Of Universal, Cross-Platform Video URLs
- GiftCards.com Agrees To Buy Giftly To Grow A Mobile Platform
- Twitter Ups Web Security With Two-Factor Authentication Via SMS, But Shared Accounts May Still Be In Danger
- Twitter Introduces Charts By Genre And Popularity For Its #Music Service
- Founder Stories: Parse's Ilya Sukhar On Founding A Startup With Strangers
- Simple to-do list app Clear updated for iPhone and Mac so users can share lists by email
- Google Code’s download option deprecated due to misuse, only existing project downloads to be kept after January 15
- Check out the world’s first job ad integrated into Twitter. Lets candidates apply without leaving the site.
- Docstoc launches ExpertCircle, a product and vendor peer-reviewed service for SMBs
- Rdio for Android and iOS adds Find People via Facebook and Twitter, record label Pages, new side navigation
- Remote Medical gets $8M to bring health care to the remote corners of the world
- Meg Whitman says ‘You can feel the turnaround taking place at HP’ (But not at Dell)
- Startups, it’s okay to be promiscuous when it comes to accelerators
- Why Apple believes keeping billions in cash overseas is fair, and why Congress largely disagrees
- HP misses revenue targets, hits earnings goal as it adapts to weak PC sales
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube