The growth of Opera Mini users in Nigeria has increased by over 300 percent since November 2009.
This is shown from Opera’s State of the Mobile Web report for November 2010 which ranks Nigeria 8th above the U.S and Brazil.
With this result, Nigeria has surpassed the United States of America in terms of opera mini users.
Below is a snapshot of the report for Nigeria:
Page-view growth since November 2009: 404.1 %
Unique-user growth since November 2009: 315.4 %
Data transfer growth since November 2009: 370.8 %
Page views per user: 438
Data transferred per user (MB): 6
Data transferred per page view (KB): 13
Below is a snapshot of the report for U.S:
Page-view growth since November 2009: 103.1 %
Unique-user growth since November 2009: 28.4 %
Data transfer growth since November 2009: 94.0 %
Page views per user: 422
Data transferred per user (MB): 10
Data transferred per page view (KB): 23
While it is possible that a mobile network hack may have resulted in the increase in Opera Mini usage in Nigeria, I think that Nigeria is a strong contender in the top 10 list.
This is an indication that mobile advertisement would thrive as more and more people turn to mobile web browsing.
Interestingly, Opera has seen huge potentials in Nigeria’s mobile web space and is sponsoring the first Social Innovation Camp in Africa to be held in Lagos, Nigeria come January 2011.
At SICamp, Opera would be providing seed funding to the best social innovation ideas as well mobile apps out of Nigeria.
Related Posts via Categories
- Mobicanvas – An Innovative Mobile Site Builder
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Vanguard Emerges 5th Most Visited Site on Opera Mini Browser
- NCC Shutdown Mobile Communications in Abuja
- 2nd MobileMonday (MoMo) Meetup Holds Today
- Google’s AdSense for Mobile Content Comes To Nigeria
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- ThisDay Newspaper Launches iPad App
- Nigeria Sees Huge Mobile Advertising Growth
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- Facebook now has 100 million active users in India
- Rocket Internet’s hotel booking site Jovago launches in Pakistan
- Indonesian government toys with imposing 20% import taxes on foreign-made smartphones
- Samsung makes the Galaxy S5 and its new Gear devices commercially available globally
- Dimension Data opens office in Ghana
- Uber adds new $1 “safe rides fee” to UberX rides
- Google is sending dummy Glass units to prospective Explorers
- Can a little-known blogger turn his site into a business by selling memberships? Ben Thompson is sure going to try
- Twitter account tied to “Internet crime” police raid – report
- Twitter’s data grants will be used to research food poisoning, cancer, happiness
- The incredible disappearing HTC: what its SA strategy reveals about its global woes
- The 10 fastest production cars ever to lap the Nürburgring
- Is IAB’s Rising Star ad format another nail in banner advertising’s coffin?
- Intel presses for conflict-free minerals in Africa with new microprocessors
- Weibo’s bargain basement IPO: bad numbers, censorship and missed chances
- Guides.co Aims To Be The Hub For Companies’ White Papers And How-To Content
- Founder Stories: Serial Entrepreneur Karl Jacob Is Up At The Plate Again With Hangtime
- As Food Delivery War Heats Up, Sprig Plans To Serve Lunch
- Tuition.io Picks Up A New Investor, As It Manages Over $1 Billion In Student Loans
- I Hijacked The Startup Alley Application System To Extend The Deadline, So Apply Now!
- Risk-averse Chinese mobile tech firms are suddenly going all-in on global, but why?
- Skitch for iOS updated to let you share those pink-arrowed pics even faster
- Amazon is adding Hulu Plus, Crackle, and Showtime Anytime catalogs into Fire TV’s voice search
- Laughing Giraffe’s new Soundpix app makes your photos talk
- Heroku launches bug bounty program with rewards ranging from $100 to $1,500
- Yahoo’s new Flickr app adds creepily accurate search tool
- Google Glass is now ‘try before you buy’
- You can now use your voice to run Amazon Fire TV’s Hulu, Crackle, and Showtime apps
- Your smartphone becomes the key to your laptop with this tantalizing Chrome OS feature
- Funding Daily: The doctor will see you now
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube