Text2Fly: Mobile service for checking Nigerian flight schedules
With over 5 million domestic seats sold annually, Nigeria has the most vibrant aviation sector in West Africa. But finding flight schedules in Nigeria is much more difficult than it needs to be.
Text2Fly is a new mobile service that lets you check Nigerian flight schedules using simple SMS via your mobile phone.
What is Unique?
Since SMS is a difficult medium for an application that would normally require lists of cities and other prompts to guide the user, Text2Fly makes it easy by letting users enter what appears to be an English language sentence for example, “From lagos to calabar on wednesday at 10am”.
If truth be told, before now, people send their drivers to get flight schedules from the airline ticketing office, but in a busy city like Lagos a short trip can take an hour in each direction.
Others look in newspapers, but the papers only show the current day’s flights while Text2Fly lets you search a week ahead. Besides, not all papers carry the Nigerian flight schedules.
Another option is to search online, but then you have to go to the web site of every single airline in a country where Internet access is very slow.
How much does it cost?
Text2Fly is relatively free as you’re not charged to recieve text messages on flight schedules, but you pay for your text message. Usually, most Nigerian networks charge you only N15 for a text to the UK.
According to Timi Agama, Text2Fly’s founder and CEO, “Text2Fly is so simple even your mother can use it. And your flight schedules arrive on your phone in seconds”.
And true to his words, I tried the service and it worked in seconds. When you try using Text2Fly via the Internet, you’ll get an SMS almost instantly from a UK number providing the flight schedules you’ve requested from different airlines in Nigeria.
The service is still in beta stage, so I guess that more airlines would be added as not all airlines are displayed, althought this depends on your search query.
You can also visit Text2Fly’s support community on Get Satisfaction, where customers connect with each other and with the Text2Fly team to solve problems and share new ideas about their products and services.
Related Posts via Categories
- Mobicanvas – An Innovative Mobile Site Builder
- Njorku.com Launches in Public Beta, Goes Mobile
- Get Startupised on TechLoy.com!
- Tim Draper Invests in Nigeria’s Mobile Payment Service, Paga
- Confirmed: Yarnable Has Been Acquired By MobiQube
- Njorku, Africa’s 1st Job Search Engine [Exclusive Screenshots]
- Jekajo.com – Discover and Share Nigerian Music
- Adloopz Lets You Loop Adverts On Social Networks
- Njorku, An Africa-wide Job Search Engine Launching Soon
- BellaNaija.com Gets Mobile-Friendly
- South Africa’s Silvertree Capital Invests Into Two Nigerian E-Commerce Companies
- Etisalat-Hosted Digital Marketing Conference Brings Local And International Marketing Experts Together
- After Raising Close To $70 Million, E-Commerce Company, JUMIA Builds A 90,000 sqft Warehouse in Lagos
- Can You Type As Fast As Eku Edewor On The Blackberry Q10? [VIDEO]
- Move Over Konga! The Most Liked E-Commerce Site On Facebook Is…Jumia!
- Having problems with your Netflix? You can blame Verizon
- A jilted Sprint sues Dish, claiming its offer for Clearwire is illegal
- GE wants to use artificial intelligence to predict the future of hospitals
- Want to 3D print your next home? It’ll take you 220 years to finish
- Solar-powered phone screen could boost battery life
- Are you losing it with social media? Here’s how to find your way again
- 7 things you need to know about South Africa’s new data protection laws
- Can Shuttleworth really help startups by taking on SA exchange controls?
- Project Loon: Google’s bid to connect the globe with high-altitude balloons
- Cyberwarfare and the secrets of PRISM: top tech stories you should read
- Living In The Future With The Form Labs Form 1
- Why Gaming Is Still A Great Bet For Investors
- Win Admission To creativeLIVE's “Secrets From Silicon Valley” Workshop
- Indonesian Instagram-Clone PicMix Gets Monetization Right From The Start
- Google Will Soon Start Selling Chromebooks At Walmart And Staples, Other Retailers Coming Soon
- Google teams with Starbucks to offer unlimited music through its Google Play Music service
- Microsoft introduces global program to sell massively discounted Surface RT tablets to schools
- Watermelon Oreos. Watermelon. Oreos.
- Confirmed: Oculus VR raises $16M from Spark Capital, Matrix Partners for its virtual reality platform
- President Obama: If you are a US citizen the NSA can’t listen to your calls, or target your emails
- SF Mayor Ed Lee says mid-Market St. ‘thriving’ because of Twitter
- NASA selects its newest space explorers — and half are women
- RetailMeNot files for IPO, shows coupons really are sexy
- Why the half-life of a Pinterest pin is thousands of times longer than a tweet or Facebook post
- Keaton Row rescues fashion victims by connecting them with personal stylists online
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube