Since I started watching the African Technology scene, I’ve seen quite a good number of start-ups from Africa with great potentials. I’ve also reviewed some like Afrigator.
While we’ve also seen several techn0logy events such as BarCamps in several parts of Africa, we’re yet to see a programme designed to jumpstart the entrepreneurial community in Africa by connecting next generation developers and entrepreneurs such as SeedCamp.
Seedcamp acts as a micro seed fund to invest in startup companies, mainly through a flagship event called Seedcamp Week which takes place in September every year. Here are the 21 finalists for the Seedcamp Week 2009.
Following Seedcamp Week, the companies who receive investment stay in London for 3 months to grow and develop their company, building key and lasting business relationships along the way to help them sustain a viable business.
In Africa, I believe we have the talents, the role models, the thought leaders and the capital founders needed to succeed. My thoughts are if only Africa could have a similar event gathering such as Seedcamp’s, it would serve as a catalyst for the next generation of great entrepreneurs in Africa.
What are your thoughts?
Related Posts via Categories
- In Search of Nigeria’s Silicon City
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- 10 Young Tech Game Changers Invited To Technology Times Summit 2011
- Are you (or your startup) Memeburned yet?
- 10 Reasons You Should Attend Technology Times Outlook Summit 2010
- Startups Nigeria (Beta) Version 2.0 Officially Released
- Starcomms Launches Toolbar
- Exclusive: Preview and Screenshot of Nigeria 2.0 Events Platform Released
- Isn’t It Time for a “Technology Community” in Nigeria?
- 10 Best Places to Create a Startup Hub in Nigeria
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- Etisalat Plans Support For Local App Developers in Nigeria
- How Akure Is Building A Promising Tech Startup Culture And Community
- EXCLUSIVE: Google Nigeria Programs Manager Quits, Joins Konga
- Splinter.me wants to replace your resume and offer career guidance
- OpenStack cloud builder Cloudscaling nets $10M from Juniper, Seagate and friends
- Amazon’s new Kindle Worlds gives authors a way to sell fan fiction without legal hassles
- ‘Personal cameraman’ Swivl gets $500k from Grishin Robotics to go big in education
- Who will be the last one at HTC left standing in the US?
- What the construction industry needs to use social media to its full potential
- 3 steps for accelerating your startup’s productivity into high growth
- Undervalued display ads, mobile: how Tumblr will earn Yahoo billions
- It’s not over yet: why ecommerce giant Alibaba’s future looks bright
- The South African police’s website was hacked… and they didn’t even know it
- Encoding.com's Vid.ly Integrates With FreeWheel To Provide Monetization Of Universal, Cross-Platform Video URLs
- GiftCards.com Agrees To Buy Giftly To Grow A Mobile Platform
- Twitter Ups Web Security With Two-Factor Authentication Via SMS, But Shared Accounts May Still Be In Danger
- Twitter Introduces Charts By Genre And Popularity For Its #Music Service
- Founder Stories: Parse's Ilya Sukhar On Founding A Startup With Strangers
- Simple to-do list app Clear updated for iPhone and Mac so users can share lists by email
- Google Code’s download option deprecated due to misuse, only existing project downloads to be kept after January 15
- Check out the world’s first job ad integrated into Twitter. Lets candidates apply without leaving the site.
- Docstoc launches ExpertCircle, a product and vendor peer-reviewed service for SMBs
- Rdio for Android and iOS adds Find People via Facebook and Twitter, record label Pages, new side navigation
- Remote Medical gets $8M to bring health care to the remote corners of the world
- Meg Whitman says ‘You can feel the turnaround taking place at HP’ (But not at Dell)
- Startups, it’s okay to be promiscuous when it comes to accelerators
- Why Apple believes keeping billions in cash overseas is fair, and why Congress largely disagrees
- HP misses revenue targets, hits earnings goal as it adapts to weak PC sales
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube