It didn’t come as a surprise to me that Zenith Bank Plc has adopted social media tools for communication, since the bank has been known for their leadership status in the deployment of Information and Communications Technology.
Last year, Zenith Bank emerged, for the sixth time, the best overall winner of the 2008 edition of the Web Jurist Award conducted by Phillips Consulting. The Award which rates bank websites in Nigeria based on clear-cut criteria including; Content, Performance, Functionality, Technicality, Aesthetics, and E-financial services was instituted in 2001 and has ever since, been won by Zenith Bank in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006 in addition to the latest edition.
Zenith Bank has become the first bank in Nigeria to adopt Twitter as a tool for online communication. Their Twitter page looks new with only 10 updates since June 25, but has already attracted 114 followers and following 760, as at the time of writing this post.
Most of the tweets to date have simply directed users to their website pages as well as news around the bank from online newspapers and some great business and success quotes from world renowned achievers. Perhaps, they’ll soon be adding updates about their products and services, but I’m wondering if they would use the Twitter page to interact with their customers and answer their questions.
My guess is that Zenith Bank has developed a social media policy and strategy before venturing into twittering. If not, then, they’ll need one. But, I’m not sure if a Zenith Bank employee has been doing the twittering, as it may as well be someone who admires Zenith Bank and decides to write updates about the bank. Besides, Zenith Bank has not officially announced they have a Twitter page on their website.
Whatever the case, I think it will help Zenith Bank to reinforce its brand on the web and better position it as one of the foremost banks in Nigeria that has embraced the social web. It’ll be interesting to see more banks and companies in Nigeria get involved with social media channels to interact with their customers.
Read my post on top 5 ways companies can use Twitter for their business.
Related Posts via Categories
- ICT4D Skype Chat: Nigerian Internet Business Opportunities
- How to Build your Brand via Marketing 2.0 Tools
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Zuckerberg to Startups: You don’t have to move to Silicon Valley
- Manchester United to launch social network for its 500 million fans?
- Speaking at a Consumer Engagement Workshop in Lagos
- Omotola vs Jonathan: The Race For 1 Million Facebook Fans
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- Twitter Launches ‘Local Trends’ for Nigeria
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- NSA’s taste for cookies reveals the danger of marketing-driven web tracking
- Rdio brings its Spotify competitor to 20 more countries
- HP’s new CloudSystems bundle “hardened” OpenStack
- Beastie Boys countersue as fair use fight over “Girls” song escalates
- Twitter ousts Facebook as best tech employer, survey says
- 10 big tech trends for 2014 and how to use them in your marketing strategy
- Amazon Prime Air: just another pipe dream or technological breakthrough?
- Carmine Gallo’s 3 unbreakable laws of communication [#LeWeb]
- 10 of the most iconic phones of our time
- Proper gov’t regulation will fix NSA spying & protect data [#LeWeb]
- Palantir’s Latest Round Valuing It At $9B Swells To $107.8M In New Funding
- nWay Raises $5M To Build Out ChronoBlade MMO Game
- Meet Kubo, The Crowdfunded Electric Cargo Scooter Made By Lit Motors
- Extole Raises $5M To Reward Customers For Promoting Products To Their Friends
- Lovely’s Apartment Rental App Moves Into Its New Digs On Android
- Digia releases Qt 5.2 with Android and iOS support, previews Windows RT, and launches Qt mobile edition
- Valve redesigns its Steam Mobile for iOS app, adds offline chat, new friend invite area and more
- Angry Birds Go! is now available for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10
- Japan has overtaken the US as the world’s biggest spender on mobile apps
- YouTube reveals its top 10 videos for 2013 (What Does YouTube Say?)
- PaeDae gets a pay day as it collects $11.6M to expand beyond mobile game rewards
- FOCUS TRAINR App Transforms Wearable Fitness Devices from Data Trackers into Virtual Personal Trainers
- The future is enchanted objects, not glass slabs
- Just sending an SMS does not protect your users
- Evernote for the enterprise: Huddle rolls out notes feature alongside redesigned iOS app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube