According to UK’s largest business start-up community, Startup.co.uk
UK Prime Minister, Gordon Brown announced earlier this week that the government would invest £150m in high growth technology businesses. The UK Innovation Investment Fund will focus on growing small businesses, start-ups and spin-outs in the digital, life sciences, clean tech and advanced manufacturing sectors.
The investment total will be matched by the private sector, and according to the government, this could lead to enough private investment to build a £1bn fund over the next decade.
“This fund will help build Britain’s future by investing in key sectors,” said Gordon Brown.
“It will provide crucial support for our most promising start-ups and existing small companies just when they need it most. Venture capital finance is the lifeblood of innovation and crucial to ensuring the commercialisation of the discoveries coming out of our research base.”
According to government figures there are 1,093 venture capital backed tech companies in the UK employing more than 40,000 highly skilled workers.
Business secretary Lord Mandelson said the government had identified access to venture capital as one of the ‘critical factors’ in developing innovative UK ventures.
He added: “The [fund] will be a shot in the arm for the British venture capital industry. It is also a challenge to UK VCs to follow the government’s lead in backing British entrepreneurs in building exciting new companies, investing in new technologies and creating new jobs.”
Related Posts via Categories
- #CashlessLagos: Why Should Access Bank Charge Customers To Use Its Electronic Channels?
- CNN Gaffes On African Tech Voices List. Literally.
- Facebook Account Gets Budget Allocation in Nigerian Government?
- How IROKOtv could become the ‘Netflix of Africa’
- Announcing Pre-Release of Techloy Directory!
- Why Google’s Project GNBO Is Net-Colonialism!
- @MobitelNigeria Doesn’t Just Tweet, They Listen To Customer Twiplaints
- TechLoy.com, the new blog in the tech bloc
- Nigerian URL Shortener Yrn.me Redesigns
- Tech Round-up: This Week’s Hottest Tech Stories
- Why Facebook Is Losing Active Users in Nigeria [OPINION]
- Rocket Internet-Backed Vehicle Classified Ad Site, Carmido Launches To Challenge Cheki
- Google Policy Manager For Africa, Ory Okolloh Joins Omidyar Network
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- Report: Google wants to connect the developing world with wireless
- VMware’s revolving door keeps on spinning
- Australian researchers get closer to scalable quantum computing
- Steering clear of the iceberg: three ways we can fix the data-credibilty crisis in science
- Report: Better Place to file for bankruptcy
- Marissa Mayer Has Already Made One Big Mistake With Tumblr
- Google Planning Wireless Networks To Connect The Next 1B People - WSJ
- Microsoft And Google Declare A Truce In Their YouTube Fight
- iOS 7 Rumor Watch: 'Black, White and Flat All Over'
- Google Has A Trojan Horse To Disrupt TV: Really, Really Big Data
- The First Six Months Developing For The Computer On My Face
- 50M Matches Strong, Hot Mobile Dating App Tinder Is Ready To Go Global, And Move Beyond Flirting
- Google Now's “Topics” Page Returns And Shows You How Much Google Knows About You, But It Only Works On Android
- Ask A VC: Index Ventures' Danny Rimer On The Future Of Ecommerce And More
- Microsoft And Google Bury The Hatchet To Work On A Windows Phone YouTube App With Ads
- More than a year after its shutdown, Google to move all Buzz posts to its Drive service on July 17
- Creative blogging platform Jux to close August 31, cites growth as not being “large or fast enough”
- Do these screenshots reveal a heavily revamped Gmail for mobile and Web is on the way?
- Google, Verizon and Acer offer Chromebook stations and free WiFi to Oklahoma tornado victims
- SideCar updates iOS and Android apps with detour mode, Facebook login support, and revamped ratings
- Why due diligence matters in equity crowdfunding
- DHS warns of vulnerability exposing employee social security numbers
- Peter Thiel’s venture firm to invest in space (exclusive)
- Yahoo continues spending spree by jumping into the bidding fray over Hulu
- Google and Microsoft agree to play nicely on a new YouTube Windows Phone app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube