Never mind that people don’t usually celebrate bloggers yet in Nigeria, just like the entertainment industry and fans do for their most talented and favourite celebs.
That will soon start to happen. Oh, it has already started to happen.
While I and a few bloggers may have been listed or mentioned around the web as the most popular and influential bloggers in Nigeria based on our blog’s ranking, influence and branding, I believe that’s not enough to say we’re there yet or we should be celebrated.
Rather, we’re still scratching the surface.
But beyond lists, there are quite a good number of lessons that bloggers can learn from the entertainment industry — specifically — the Nollywood, Music and Comedy Industry.
Here are 4 ways that bloggers can become celebrities in their own right:
- Bloggers will have to make their appearances felt beyond just their blogs – On Twitter. On Radio. On TV. On Billboards. At Events. Everywhere — if they’re to become the D’banj’s and Mercy Johnson’s of Nigeria’s emerging Blogging Industry.
- Bloggers will have to attract a huge following or fan base (literally) as well as build a unique voice and style to become the Basket Mouth’s and the Princess’s of the emerging Blogging Industry.
- Bloggers will have to figure out a method or a combination of methods to make serious money (with revenues in the excess of $10,000 monthly) from their content, brand and influence, not just relying on paltry sums from Google Adsense and other ad networks. (Big brands with deep pockets are watching the blog space!)
- Bloggers will have to live in the world of make believe. Start riding posh cars and living in mansions in your imagination. Start giving away Blackberry phones to your fans and followers in your dreams. Soon, you’ll start living those dreams and imaginations. Soon, you’ll be living the Dot Com lifestyle, driving fancy cars, going to exotic vacations, wining, dining and partying.
If you’re to contribute to building a viable blogging industry, you must step up your game and move onto the next level of blogging: becoming a blog celebrity!
It’s time to raise the bar, bloggers!
Forget blogspot sub-domains! Hire a very good WordPress designer to create a unique blogging brand! Adopt a unique style of writing and/or hire talented writers on your team! Join forces with other bloggers around your niche and attract new fans! Build a network of blogs around your blogging brand! Be prolific! Be passionate! Be professional!
Whether you’re blogging for fame or fortune (or both), remember that it would take a long time to build your blogging brand. If you’re into blogging for quick money or attention, then it’s not for you!
Let’s compete, collaborate and network together! That’s how the Nigerian entertainment industry became a multi-million dollar industry!
Related Posts via Categories
- Silicon Penninsula: My New Timeline Cover By Emmanuel Oyeleke
- YNaija lists TechLoy.com as one of the top 10 websites of 2011
- Nominated For ‘Best Technology Blog’ At Nigerian Blog Awards 2011. [VOTE NOW]
- Tech Round-up: This Week’s Hottest Tech Stories
- Tech Round-up: This Week’s 10 Biggest Tech Stories
- TechLoy’s Top Women in Web and Tech Entrepreneurship
- Announcing Nigeria’s Best Use of Social Media at #SowambeAwards
- Who Will Win ‘Best Use of Technology’ At The Future Awards 2011?
- TechLoy’s Best People, Brands and Events of 2010
- Why Facebook Is Losing Active Users in Nigeria [OPINION]
- Rocket Internet-Backed Vehicle Classified Ad Site, Carmido Launches To Challenge Cheki
- Google Policy Manager For Africa, Ory Okolloh Joins Omidyar Network
- Want To Be A Telecoms Engineering Professional? Ahmadu Bello University Now Has An MSc Programme
- Nokia Becomes First Major Brand In Nigeria To Be Verified On Twitter
- If Google isn’t trying to snatch Waze away from Facebook, it really should be
- Changes ahead: more details on how iOS 7 will look
- Why you should do your own mobile app store research before buying a phone
- With portfolio consolidation in sight, SAP cloud chief Lars Dalgaard steps down
- Don’t forget these apps when packing for your Disney trip
- Microsoft And Google Bury The Hatchet To Work On A Windows Phone YouTube App With Ads
- Gillmor Gang Live 05.24.13 (TCTV)
- Laptop Week Review: Samsung 700T Fly Or Die
- Google Needs To Bring Emerging Markets Online To Grow Its Business Opportunities In The Next 10 years
- Gmail For Android Could Soon Get A Navigation Drawer
- Pixplit, the Instagram for social photo collages, now enables private and solo ‘splits’
- Mentor launches an “anti to-do list” app for iOS, pitting itself against US rivals Lift and Everest
- Sony newspaper ad reveals the PlayStation 4 will launch in the UK by the end of 2013
- China’s online retailer LightInTheBox sets IPO terms, could raise up to $87 million
- Flickr’s Fail Panda spotted as site suffers first outage 4 days after its revamp (Update: Now back online)
- Pandora’s 40-hour listening cap translates to a record 700K new paid subscribers
- Funding Daily: Cash for the ‘stache
- Evernote announces reminders as forgetful everywhere breathe easier
- JustFab acquires The Fab Shoes to take on the European market
- LoyalBlocks makes rewarding customers easier with a $9M first round
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube