Yesterday, I was pointed to an awards site that had listed me as one of the nominees for the Nigeria Youth Merit Award in the ICT category.
At first, I said to myself, ‘Nah, there’s no way I can win this one’. Who I’m I in the ICT space? Even my tweet concurred with my thoughts.
On second thought, I tweeted:
Looking for a campaign manager! Interested? Apply @loyokezie
Was I serious?
Of course not! I’m just a ‘blogger’ in the tech space and haven’t really built any tech product or service that I should be proud of.
Is my technology blog, Techloy.com a tech product? Not sure, but perhaps more of an information product.
But have I catalysed the tech space in Nigeria, in some way? Some would agree, while others would vehemently disagree.
So why was I nominated, anyway? Not sure, but I’m guessing that those that nominated me felt that I’ve made some outstanding achievements within the tech media industry. [Thanks guys! ]
Yes, I founded the first technology blog dedicated to profiling and reviewing startups in Nigeria.
But hey, do I think I’ll win the award?
Not a chance I’ll win!
Just see the image below:
Image of online votes so far for the NYMA for ICT as captured on 6th of November, 2011 at 10:47am.
So why I can’t win the Nigeria Youth Merit Award for ICT?
For at least three reasons:
- I’m just a blogger in the tech space
- I haven’t built a tech product or service worth mentioning
- I’m nominated amongst a great list of techies that have something to show for their nominations
That said, here are my three favourites to win the award:
- Temitope Omotunde, who built the Afrinolly app, a Nollywood content mobile app.
- Zubair Abubakar, who developed the first Blackberry app for the Nigerian Constitution.
- Opeyemi Awoyemi, the tech god behind Jobberman, Nigeria’s leading job portal.
So now we know that I can’t possibly win this one, amidst these techies, at least I’ll appreciate a single vote from anyone, as no one seems to have voted for me yet
So will you vote for me? Here’s the link.
Related Posts via Categories
- Africa-Focused Social Music Platform, TruSpot Plans Re-Launch
- Google Translation Service Now Available In 5 New African Languages
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- European metadata law is incompatible with privacy rights, top legal advisor says
- Twitter partners up with Truecaller to link user accounts with caller ID in India
- Database whiz Michael Stonebraker on the impending battle of the database elephants
- Microsoft calls in the cavalry to push Azure worldwide (and counter AWS)
- Shopify raises $100 million Series C to expand offline into general commerce
- Forget Alan Mulally, Satya Nadella is the CEO Microsoft deserves
- Wearable tech: the future of the quantified self & smart bras [#LeWeb]
- Disruption and the mobile mind shift: welcome to the age of the customer [#LeWeb]
- You need rest: 6 tools to put your business on autopilot this holiday
- GWM C20R: Chinese…but not what you might expect
- Message Received: Instagram Matches Snapchat And Twitter In Letting You Chat
- Software May Be Eating The World, But Open Source Software Is Eating Itself
- The Everywhere Workout: FitStar’s New iPhone App Could Kill Exercise DVDs
- Mozilla Teams With Manufacturers And Carriers For Open Web Device Alliance
- Hey, Where's The Google Glass App For The iPhone?
- Kik Hits 100M Users, Adding New Ones At A Rate Of 200K Per Day
- Highlight Raises $4 Million From DFJ, Releases Version 2.0 Of Its Location-Based Social Networking App
- IFTTT Launches iOS Location Channel With Integrations For Foursquare, Twitter, Instagram And Facebook
- LinkedIn Refreshes Its Inbox With Message Previews And A Simpler Interface To Keep Users Around Longer
- Instagram Is The Apple Of Apps, Fast Following With Finesse
- Identity theft protection company LifeLock buys mobile wallet startup Lemon Wallet
- Coinbase raises $25 million Series B in largest Bitcoin startup funding round to date
- Friendshippr helps you ‘crowdship’ products and goods via friends on Facebook
- Nimbuzz users can now ‘search and share’ videos and other content from inside the chat app
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas comes to iOS, headed to Android and Windows Phone soon
- Berlin’s Readmill pushes social reading to get an edge on the crowd
- The health-tech booster shot: Bringing health care into the 21st century
- DrChrono to developers: Use our API to help us fix health care
- Funding Daily: Christmas comes early
- American Efficient launches energy-saving marketplaces with $2.5M in funding
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube