Nigeria has become the 5th largest opera mini user in the world, according to the latest Opera State of the Mobile Web report for March 2011.
With this new record, Nigeria has displaced South Africa (now placed 7th) as the biggest opera mini user in Africa, as well as China, currently ranked 6th.
This is not the first time Nigeria is disrupting opera’s mobile web rankings. In March 2009, Nigeria broke into the top 10 countries, but has been unstable in its position, sometimes even dropping off the list.
Here’s a snapshot of Nigeria’s opera mini usage and growth since March 2010.
Opera’s recent report shows page view growth since March 2010 at 87.8 %, while unique user growth since March 2010 at 143.5 %. As per data transfer, Nigeria saw growth of 80.8 % compared to March 2010 and page views per user at 355. Data transferred per user (MB) was 5 and data transferred per page view (KB) stood at 14.
Top 10 sites in Nigeria in terms of unique users
The top sites visited in March 2011 didn’t change much compared to February 2011, except that Wikipedia.org was visited more than Goal.com in Nigeria.
Vanguard remained the 2nd most visited news site after BBC (and Nigeria’s most visited site on Opera Mini), thanks to it being on the default landing page of the opera mini browser.
From the report, Nokia devices dominated mobile browsing in Nigeria on the opera mini browser.
“Nigeria is a country to watch,” said Jon von Tetzchner, co-founder, Opera Software. “It will be very interesting to see whether its stint as the top African country for Opera Mini turns out to be one-off result or the beginning of a long-term trend for mobile browsing in Africa.”
Will Nigeria remain on the list of world’s top 5 in opera mini usage?
Do you like this post? Subscribe to this blog’s feed at http://loyokezie.com/feed and share the post.
Related Posts via Categories
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Vanguard Emerges 5th Most Visited Site on Opera Mini Browser
- NCC Shutdown Mobile Communications in Abuja
- 2nd MobileMonday (MoMo) Meetup Holds Today
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- ThisDay Newspaper Launches iPad App
- Nigeria Sees Huge Mobile Advertising Growth
- RIM’s Blackberry Protect Now Available in Nigeria
- TELL Magazine Features Nigerian Constitution Blackberry App Developer
- State of Nigeria’s Mobile Telecoms Market (Q4 2010)
- South Africa’s Silvertree Capital Invests Into Two Nigerian E-Commerce Companies
- Etisalat-Hosted Digital Marketing Conference Brings Local And International Marketing Experts Together
- After Raising Close To $70 Million, E-Commerce Company, JUMIA Builds A 90,000 sqft Warehouse in Lagos
- Can You Type As Fast As Eku Edewor On The Blackberry Q10? [VIDEO]
- Move Over Konga! The Most Liked E-Commerce Site On Facebook Is…Jumia!
- The first 3D-printed battery is as tiny as a grain of sand
- Apple amends Siri’s response to suicide with more direct approach
- When your mother-in-law is endorsing you on LinkedIn, it’s time to question endorsements
- SpaceCurve raises $10M to make sense of our streams of location data
- Google files free speech challenge to FISA gag orders, renews criticism of Guardian
- Busting the myths: why linking out will not kill your website
- Don’t fluff the facts: 3 keys to good reputation management
- Are you losing it with social media? Here’s how to find your way again
- #YouKnowYoureSouthAfricanWhen: can hashtags shape a nation’s story?
- Lumia 920 review: It’s big, it’s really big, but oh so sexy
- ERN Raises Further $1.6M To Use Big Data To Help Banks And Merchants Push Loyalty-Based Offers
- Netflix Will Launch In The Netherlands Later This Year As Its International Expansion Slows
- Ooyala Sets Up R&D Center In Singapore To Chase Mobile Audiences In Asia
- Teambox Adds High-Definition Video Conferencing, Market Looks for Deeper Collaboration
- Fab Grabs $150M At $1B Valuation (And Is Raising Another $100M+ More)
- DISH drops Sprint merger bid to focus on Clearwire deal
- Some developers already seeing more active users running iOS 7 than are still on iOS 5
- Nvidia announces new plan to license GPU cores and visual computing patents
- Dell Special Committee slaps Icahn’s new proposal as incomplete, risky
- Google alternative DuckDuckGo hit nearly 3.1M queries yesterday, up 50% in 8 days as PRISM fears rise
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube