The acquisition, though unconfirmed at this point, follows rumours of Google being in talks since last May with Encipher, the Nigerian software company pushing the android platform development in Africa.
Update: This was an April Fool’s Day post
Android has been described as “Google’s beautiful, versatile and opensourced weapon against Microsoft’s onslaught on Africa.”
We’ve reached out to both Google and Encipher for comment on the deal and will update as soon as possible.
Do you like this post? Subscribe to this blog’s feed at http://loyokezie.com/feed and share the post.
Related Posts via Categories
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- CONFIRMED: INYE 2 To Be Unveiled At Google Nigeria Day
- My Article About How Google Can Localise Search in Africa Featured BBC Focus On Africa Magazine
- Can Italy’s Volunia Out-Google Google Search?
- Ex-Google Kenya Head Said She ‘Decided To Leave’? Don’t Buy It!
- Google Plus Vs Facebook Growth in Nigeria
- Has Google Kenya Country Manager Been Fired?
- GoodBye Google Adsense. Welcome ‘Ads by TechLoy’!
- Why Google’s Project GNBO Is Net-Colonialism!
- Google Puts Somalia On A Search Domain
- How Akure Is Building A Promising Tech Startup Culture And Community
- EXCLUSIVE: Google Nigeria Programs Manager Quits, Joins Konga
- Jason Njoku Owns 35 Percent Of Mark Essien’s Hotels Booking Startup
- TECNO Launches The P3, Its Latest Android-Based Budget Smartphone [PHOTOS]
- Leading Online Store Solution, WebMallNG.com Launches Its Gift Registry
- Powermat marries PowerKiss, vows to use same wireless charging standard
- The future of propaganda: A Q&A with Sean Gourley about big data and the “war of ideas”
- Six finalists in the book discovery Publishing Hackathon; winner to be announced at BEA
- Why one startup thinks laying a few bets could help companies convince employees to slim down
- Knewton teams up with Macmillan to bring adaptive learning beyond K-12 and higher ed
- Opera's WebKit-Based Android Browser Exits Beta To Battle Apps For Users' Attention
- Scopely Boosts New Zealand Studio Rocket Jump's Mini Golf Matchup To Over 10M Downloads In A Month
- MavenSay Enjoying Sudden Popularity In Social Media-Hungry Indonesia
- Real-Time Parking Startup ParkMe Launches An Android App
- Aiming To Dominate Mobile Ad Attribution, HasOffers Raises $9.4M Round Led By Accel
- Now you can tour the whole of Taiwan without losing your Internet connection, for free
- Spotify Charts launch to showcase top 50 songs each week, with play-counts now available for all songs
- Flickr, once a poster child for the freemium model, is now all about ad revenue
- Deezer launches Xbox 360 app for its on-demand music streaming service to combat Xbox Music
- Interactive video startup Interlude raises $16m from Intel, Sequoia and other big names
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube