In the recently released State of the Mobile Web Report by Opera.com, Nigeria is the 9th largest country in the world in terms of Opera Mini usage pushing out Poland to become one of the Top 10 countries.
The last time Nigeria was listed on the Top 10 ranking of the State of the Mobile Web Report was in October 2009, which showed Nigeria rank 8th with page-view growth since August 2008 at 3331.2% and unique-user growth since August 2008 at 1328.3% .
According to the report,
Looking at the top 10 countries according to Opera Mini usage (in Part 2 of the report), Ukraine overtook China in December, Vietnam continues its ascent (at the expense of the United Kingdom) and Nigeria is back on the list after a 3-month absence, pushing Poland out of the top 10 for the first time.
From the stats: Nigeria’s Opera Mini page-view growth since December 2008 was 524.5% while unique-user growth since December 2008 was 315.3%.
Again, the top 10 sites by unique users visited in Nigeria did not change much compared to the results from the October 2009 report.
However, a new entrant mjoy.com, a service that lets you send unlimited FREE text messages to any mobile phone in the world displaced getjar.com, the world’s largest cross platform app store with over a half billion downloads to date.
Among the social networking sites, Facebook.com user growth rate increased by 1,083% in 2009; Myspace.com had 853% user growth rate; Hi5.com saw 122% user growth rate increase while Twitter.com showed no results.
I’m impressed with the results seen thus far from Nigeria. For one thing, it shows that Nigerians are either keeping in touch with friends via Facebook, Myspace and Mjoy, searching for news and information via Google, BBC, CNNMobile and Wikipedia, or following football updates via Goal.com
With the surge of Opera Mini usage in the last few months (in terms of unique-user growth and page-view stats) as well as the increasing mobile web penetration in Nigeria, I predict that Nigeria could remain in the top 10 list.
Again, as Blackberry smartphones become more and more popular, I wouldn’t be suprised if it hits the top 10 handsets list in the June 2010 report.
Related Posts via Categories
- Mobicanvas – An Innovative Mobile Site Builder
- How Facebook Dominates Mobile Web Usage in Africa [Infographic]
- Vanguard Emerges 5th Most Visited Site on Opera Mini Browser
- NCC Shutdown Mobile Communications in Abuja
- 2nd MobileMonday (MoMo) Meetup Holds Today
- Google’s AdSense for Mobile Content Comes To Nigeria
- Deciphering the Google Way to Cloud Computing [An Analyst View]
- ThisDay Newspaper Launches iPad App
- Nigeria Sees Huge Mobile Advertising Growth
- The World’s First Social Media ‘Royal Wedding’
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- Ryan Seacrest funded Typo iPhone Keyboard coming in January for $99
- Yowza: Box touts $100M investment to fund global land grab
- Judge to punish lawyers for frivolous lawsuit over AOL-Microsoft patent “conspiracy”
- In pursuit of the Lunar X Prize, Moon Express reveals its moon-bound spacecraft
- Verizon quietly unleashes its LTE monster, tripling 4G capacity in major cities
- Enterprises Take Off Their Hadoop Training Wheels
- Get Ready For The Streaming-Music Die-Off
- Microsoft’s Defense Against NSA’s Dark Arts: As Much Fantasy As Fact
- Don't Expect To Pay With Your Smartphone At The Mall This Holiday Season
- Google Takeout Expands Its Menu, Adds Downloadable Gmail And Appointments
- SparkLabs Global Ventures Closes First Investments In LawPal and Memebox, Adds Brian Behlendorf And Jonathan Teo As Advisors
- Skype’s Suspicious Absence From Microsoft’s Anti-NSA Promises
- Overrun With Messaging Apps
- Less Than 10% Of Twitter’s Revenues Came From Promoted Trends In Q2 2013, SEC Filings Reveal
- 3D Model Sharing Service Sketchfab Raises $2 Million
- Mobile games firm DeNA launches manga app to boost its presence in entertainment
- Videogram updates its iOS app to help you better capture clips that are stitched into a video
- Spotify is reportedly launching a free, ad-supported mobile version of its music streaming service
- Google expands its in-depth article search results with related topics
- Heyday for iOS automatically journals your photos and locations so you don’t have to
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube