I don’t know why I’ve been talking about Globacom lately. Maybe because they’ve been sending some annoying text messages to my phone asking me to text WIN to 555 and get a chance to become a millionaire.
Hmmm…becoming a millionaire is not a bad idea at all, but I’d really prefer to Think and Grow Rich rather than engage in get-rich-quick schemes, promos or lottery programmes.
That said, I think with the way Globacom (Glo for short) is going, they could become one of the largest lottery companies in the world. But wait, isn’t their primary business – TELECOMS?
Or could it be 50% Telecoms, 50% Lottery? If so, shouldn’t they re-brand as Glotto Nigeria?
If there business is telecoms, how come they are now pro-lottery? Someone at the NCC should please check that out before Glo Shops become Glo Casinos (or Glosinos). Hmm, that would sure bring the biggest players in Las Vegas to Lagos.
While I’m not sure that Glo’s “Text for Millions” Super Promo will significantly increase their subscriber base (which dropped in Q4 2008), I equally don’t see them displacing MTN Nigeria to become the largest telecoms operator in Nigeria.
Again, I’m worried that such desperate marketing efforts may cause telecoms operators struggling for a larger market share to overlook the primary reason why they are in business – to satisfy their customers.
If I get a chance to interview Globacom’s CEO, Mike Adenuga, one of my questions to him would be: Have you re-branded Globacom as a lottery company?
I’ll just hope that I won’t be shown the door or worse punched in the face.
Related Posts via Categories
- Is Oo inspiring a new dress culture for Internet entrepreneurs?
- TechLoy.com, the new blog in the tech bloc
- Google’s AdSense for Mobile Content Comes To Nigeria
- Get Startupised on TechLoy.com!
- Dika Oha Leaves Groply For Another Group Buying Competitor
- Exclusive: Here’s What Inye 2 Will Look Like. Slim. Sleek. Sexy [PHOTO]
- Amosu’s Bespoke Tech Gadgets at ARISE Magazine Fashion Week
- Adloopz Lets You Loop Adverts On Social Networks
- GoldSMS – Nigeria’s First Innovative Bulk SMS App
- iCandi – A Mobile App That Rewards You When You View Mobile Ads
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- TECNO Inks Deal With Blackberry To Pre-load BBM On Its New Phones
- Nigeria’s 4G Service, SWIFT Offers 5% Data Credit If You Make Online Payments
- NSA’s taste for cookies reveals the danger of marketing-driven web tracking
- Rdio brings its Spotify competitor to 20 more countries
- HP’s new CloudSystems bundle “hardened” OpenStack
- Beastie Boys countersue as fair use fight over “Girls” song escalates
- Twitter ousts Facebook as best tech employer, survey says
- 10 big tech trends for 2014 and how to use them in your marketing strategy
- Amazon Prime Air: just another pipe dream or technological breakthrough?
- Carmine Gallo’s 3 unbreakable laws of communication [#LeWeb]
- 10 of the most iconic phones of our time
- Proper gov’t regulation will fix NSA spying & protect data [#LeWeb]
- Palantir’s Latest Round Valuing It At $9B Swells To $107.8M In New Funding
- nWay Raises $5M To Build Out ChronoBlade MMO Game
- Meet Kubo, The Crowdfunded Electric Cargo Scooter Made By Lit Motors
- Extole Raises $5M To Reward Customers For Promoting Products To Their Friends
- Lovely’s Apartment Rental App Moves Into Its New Digs On Android
- Digia releases Qt 5.2 with Android and iOS support, previews Windows RT, and launches Qt mobile edition
- Valve redesigns its Steam Mobile for iOS app, adds offline chat, new friend invite area and more
- Angry Birds Go! is now available for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10
- Japan has overtaken the US as the world’s biggest spender on mobile apps
- YouTube reveals its top 10 videos for 2013 (What Does YouTube Say?)
- PaeDae gets a pay day as it collects $11.6M to expand beyond mobile game rewards
- FOCUS TRAINR App Transforms Wearable Fitness Devices from Data Trackers into Virtual Personal Trainers
- The future is enchanted objects, not glass slabs
- Just sending an SMS does not protect your users
- Evernote for the enterprise: Huddle rolls out notes feature alongside redesigned iOS app
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube