I don’t know why I’ve been talking about Globacom lately. Maybe because they’ve been sending some annoying text messages to my phone asking me to text WIN to 555 and get a chance to become a millionaire.
Hmmm…becoming a millionaire is not a bad idea at all, but I’d really prefer to Think and Grow Rich rather than engage in get-rich-quick schemes, promos or lottery programmes.
That said, I think with the way Globacom (Glo for short) is going, they could become one of the largest lottery companies in the world. But wait, isn’t their primary business – TELECOMS?
Or could it be 50% Telecoms, 50% Lottery? If so, shouldn’t they re-brand as Glotto Nigeria?
If there business is telecoms, how come they are now pro-lottery? Someone at the NCC should please check that out before Glo Shops become Glo Casinos (or Glosinos). Hmm, that would sure bring the biggest players in Las Vegas to Lagos.
While I’m not sure that Glo’s “Text for Millions” Super Promo will significantly increase their subscriber base (which dropped in Q4 2008), I equally don’t see them displacing MTN Nigeria to become the largest telecoms operator in Nigeria.
Again, I’m worried that such desperate marketing efforts may cause telecoms operators struggling for a larger market share to overlook the primary reason why they are in business – to satisfy their customers.
If I get a chance to interview Globacom’s CEO, Mike Adenuga, one of my questions to him would be: Have you re-branded Globacom as a lottery company?
I’ll just hope that I won’t be shown the door or worse punched in the face.
Related Posts via Categories
- Is Oo inspiring a new dress culture for Internet entrepreneurs?
- TechLoy.com, the new blog in the tech bloc
- Google’s AdSense for Mobile Content Comes To Nigeria
- Get Startupised on TechLoy.com!
- Dika Oha Leaves Groply For Another Group Buying Competitor
- Exclusive: Here’s What Inye 2 Will Look Like. Slim. Sleek. Sexy [PHOTO]
- Amosu’s Bespoke Tech Gadgets at ARISE Magazine Fashion Week
- Adloopz Lets You Loop Adverts On Social Networks
- GoldSMS – Nigeria’s First Innovative Bulk SMS App
- iCandi – A Mobile App That Rewards You When You View Mobile Ads
- Africa-Focused Social Music Platform, TruSpot Plans Re-Launch
- Google Translation Service Now Available In 5 New African Languages
- Sim Shagaya: “We Should Have Been Better Prepared.”
- Konga’s Site Suffers Epic Crash Over Traffic Surge During Its #FallYakataSales
- 10 Tips and Tricks For Shopping Online This Season
- Bitcoin’s a risky business for consumers, European Banking Authority warns
- IBM shareholder sues firm over NSA “links” and China risk
- Wunderlist set to get conversational as 6Wunderkinder buys Moped code
- Bitcoin no longer bunk? AT&T wants to peek at your searches, and Verizon’s LTE Kaiju!
- Gmail change means faster images, fewer clicks, less risk, says Google
- 14 big security predictions for 2014
- Yahoo collapses, Firefox drops Java and Instagram kills Snapchat: #StuffToKnow
- It’s a woman’s (virtual) world: how girl gamers are dealt a rough hand
- ‘Fake’ Mandela signer gets the Jimmy Kimmel treatment
- Instagram unveils ‘Direct’, says it’s not taking aim at Snapchat
- New Cut the Rope 2 Game Drops On December 19, Check Out The Video Preview
- Leaked Facebook Video Ad Pitch Deck Reveals Plans To Steal TV And YouTube Dollars
- Appsfire Exits The App Discovery Business To Focus On Mobile Advertising, Native Ads
- Nextdoor Competitor Meetey Launches Its Local Social Network Internationally
- The Future Of The iPhone, If Unbound By The Requirements Of Reality
- Google+ gets a new Explore experience on the Web, promotes major topics and content discovery
- Sony’s PS4 goes on sale in 16 more countries across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America
- Russian travel site Oktogo.ru rebrands to Travel.ru following its September acquisition
- Pebble smartwatch gets ‘do not disturb’ setting, multiple alarms and alarm snoozing
- Google launches Google Tips, a site to help you use its 13 consumer products
- SurveyMonkey CEO Dave Goldberg on launches, lazy VCs, and why Germany’s on his radar
- ARM acquires maker of game graphics and lighting technology Geomerics
- AddVenture invests in e-store Nebo.ru and food delivery startup Chefmarket.ru
- Twitter learns the difference between blocking and muting users
- How do you want to spend the next 4 years of your life?
Tagsafrica android apple barack obama barcamp nigeria business careers encipher encipher tablet etisalat nigeria facebook globacom goodluck jonathan google inye ipad Jobberman job search kenya lagos loy okezie microsoft mobile apps Mobile Web mtn nigeria nigeria nokia saheed adepoju silicon valley Social Media social network software developers south africa starcomms startup startups startups nigeria techcrunch technology telecoms ticker Twitter yahoo yarnable youtube